Max number of tanks in car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, here's the skinny:

AOW+Nitrox certification dives this weekend...

There are two of us, and a 2003 Honda Accord (not a small car, but not an Expedition either)

I need to lug 10 TANKS, plus two whole sets of gear...

Is it safe to put all these tanks in the trunk, if they are strapped together (using those ratchet straps)???

What are your thoughts?

A.

abitton:
OK, here's the skinny:

There are two of us, and a 2003 Honda Accord (not a small car, but not an Expedition either)

Is it safe to put all these tanks in the trunk, if they are strapped together (using those ratchet straps)???

What are your thoughts?

A.

I've done eight in a Nissan Sentra... going back from Tahoe. Car was riding a bit high in the front!!

I have a hyundai accent now, and ten tanks would really kill it. It bottomed out with four. What you may want to do is distribute the weight a little more evenly by sticking a few tanks in the cabin, if you can. In the Accent, I shove a tank in the well behind each front seat (do you have other passengers) so it gets some of the weight out of the back.

can you not just get the tanks filled at the dive site? i have an expedition, 10 tanks is a struggle...

I think this a question for Click and Clack on NPR.

Only managed 6 in a sentra so far, one set of doubles and 2 pairs of singles, but carrying the weight of at least 8 tanks. 10 is probably doable, but you might not have room for gear. Why cant you get fills locally and only take 4 tanks?

Then of course consider whatever your equivalent DOT laws, in the US its 100cuft of compressed air without stickering and probably some other safety measures, i think most folks exceed that volume of air quite easily when transporting tanks, but if a cop pulls you over who knows what might happen?

Hehehe...

The well idea is very good. The other passnger will be riding shotgun...

Ishie:
I've done eight in a Nissan Sentra... going back from Tahoe. Car was riding a bit high in the front!!

I have a hyundai accent now, and ten tanks would really kill it. It bottomed out with four. What you may want to do is distribute the weight a little more evenly by sticking a few tanks in the cabin, if you can. In the Accent, I shove a tank in the well behind each front seat (do you have other passengers) so it gets some of the weight out of the back.

I had thought of that, but it would be a scheduling nightmare, as the closest diveshop is a good distance away...

mossym:
can you not just get the tanks filled at the dive site? i have an expedition, 10 tanks is a struggle...

They're all Al80's.

That is an excellent point on DOT regulations... I'll have to check with Transport Canada (our DOT equivalent).

simbrooks:
Only managed 6 in a sentra so far, one set of doubles and 2 pairs of singles, but carrying the weight of at least 8 tanks. 10 is probably doable, but you might not have room for gear. Why cant you get fills locally and only take 4 tanks?

Then of course consider whatever your equivalent DOT laws, in the US its 100cuft of compressed air without stickering and probably some other safety measures, i think most folks exceed that volume of air quite easily when transporting tanks, but if a cop pulls you over who knows what might happen?

abitton:
OK, here's the skinny:

What are your thoughts?

A.

That's an awful lot of weight for that car, no matter how you distribute it. Would towing a small trailer be out of the question?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

simbrooks:

never knew that, my usual saturday run is 3 e7100's and 2al80's...and i'd say i'm light for some fo the cars heading south on 101 for monterey..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom