Trip report -- diving Boston Harbor w/ Boston Diver Services -- 6/11/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Had a fantastic time this past Saturday on a charter with Boston Diver Services and Capt. Pat Breen. There were three of us on the boat (myself and 2 buddies) plus Capt. Pat – this was nice change from the larger charter boats we are all used to. We operated on our own schedule, without any rush – what a concept!

We started the day at 8AM, meeting Pat at the Boston Harbor Shipyard & Marina in East Boston, located just a stone’s throw from Logan Airport and Santarpio’s Pizza (5 minute drive from the Callahan tunnel) -- very convenient to downtown, easy to get to and great views of the city skyline from the marina. Perhaps an even bigger bonus – large, wheeled lawn carts available to move your gear from your car to the boat – NICE.

Dive sites for the day were the Canyons (just off Outer Brewster Island) and the wreck of the City of Salisbury (out just beyond The Graves). Both were terrific dive sites. The Canyons are just as the name describes – a dive site filled with huge boulders, swim through mini-canyons and fun topography. Lots of beautiful plant life. Some lobsters, but those we saw were shorts (this is apparently a great lobstering site once the water warms up). There was a slight current running at this site, but nothing unmanageable.

Site 2 was the City of Salisbury, a wreck from the 1930s that occurred on top of a then-uncharted pinnacle. We hooked into a mooring line right on top of the pinnacle in about 20 feet of water, leaving us to explore the large wreckage field along the top and down the sides. Depths can run to 90 feet, although we hit a max of about 60. Lots of interesting wreckage (this was a 415 foot ship), lobster and small fish life. Dramatic drop-offs on certain sides of the pinnacle with TONS of flounder. Great site that I would love to explore more of.

Water temp on both dives was a consistent 46F. Vis was variable, but not bad – 10-15 feet depending on depth and location.

I would highly recommend Capt. Pat as a charter operator – he aims to please and is a very capable captain. If you are looking for some convenient boat diving for a small group, this is a great option with some great dive sites within easy reach. This was my first time diving the outer harbor islands – from what I saw on these 2 dives, I will definitely be doing more diving out there this summer.

For more info on charters, dive sites and contact information, see his web site:
http://www.bostondiverservices.com/

Chris

Thanks for the kind words Chris. It was a pleasure having you guys along. I hope to see you guys again soon. There are plenty of great sites to see. Capt. P.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom