New here, some questions about DIR...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I am knew to the board and new to DIR. I am so glad I found this forum, it seems like a great place for DIR info. I am planning on taking the GUE DIR-F class in November and I have been trying to find out more about DIR equipment/training before then.
I am really looking forward to learning new things. In the meantime, I have been buying equipment to get ready for the class since my existing equipment does not meet the DIR criteria.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good videos or books (other that the GUE "Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving", already have that one) that would help me prepare for the class. I was thinking of getting the 3 DVD DIR set from GUE. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about these videos? I was hoping to find something that not only covers theory and gear selection, but also something that shows some of the in-water skills. Especially since I have not done or seen many of the skills expected, like a frog-kick, helicopter turn, kicking backwards, etc.
I just switched to a 7' primary hose so I can get used to using it, i'll be trying it for the first time in the water this weekend. It is funny that even just geared up on land (tried it at the house to make sure I was routing the hose right), it already feels comfortable and easy, not nearly as cumbersome as I had pictured it.
Thanks to the person that recommended REI to get the shockcord for the backup reg necklace. I went to REI last night and found the perfect cord for only 10 cents a foot.
I attached it to my backup reg using a zip tie. It hangs just below my chin, so if I stick my jaw out, then tuck my chin to my chest, my chin just hits the mouth piece on the reg. Does this sound like the correct position. I am assuming that you want it high and close to the neck so that it doesn't dangle?
I'm sure i'll be posting more questions as I go along, thanks for any advice you may have to give.

Thanks,
Jason

Welcome Jason!

Those videos from GUE will help.

Good luck in your fundies.

Dan MacKay just recently completed a book focused on the gear. I have not seen it, but I believe it's intended to cover a lot of the gear specifics and why. See the following thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=83496&highlight=dress+for+success

Your backup sounds right.

Especially since I have not done or seen many of the skills expected

Don't get caught up in 'expected'. It -is- a class and is intended to teach you these skills.

Also, most GUE instructors would be happy to respond to any questions in preparation for a class. Don't be afraid to contact your instructor and ask them questions in preparation.

In a way you're better off not trying too hard to " prepare " for the class. You may end up just solidifying bad habits that may be identified in the class that you will then want to change.

I am currently completing the DIR F fundamentals course in CA. Don't be in a rush to go out and re-configure your gear. I purchased several items that I thought were DIR and when we went over gear configuration with the instructor, he made me change them. Also, I am doing the class with a single tank rig, and I bought a 5 ft primary hose thinking it was the correct DIR length for singles. I ended up replacing it after the first dive because it was too hard to deploy and it was getting caught in my backup reg on the bungee. I also bought some snaps that were too small for my regulator. My instructor also didn't like my spool for the left bag because it was a little too wide and had too much line on it. My best advise is check with the instructor prior to the class. Often the instructor might have a spare item you can use for the class. Two of my classmate borrowed bottom timers because they had console mounted computers.

Good luck.

Jasonmh:
I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good videos or books (other that the GUE "Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving", already have that one) that would help me prepare for the class. I was thinking of getting the 3 DVD DIR set from GUE. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about these videos? I was hoping to find something that not only covers theory and gear selection, but also something that shows some of the in-water skills. Especially since I have not done or seen many of the skills expected, like a frog-kick, helicopter turn, kicking backwards, etc.
The 3 DVD set from GUE is all dry-land discussions and demonstrations of equipment and techniques. There are no in-water skills demonstrated. In general the information provided is valuable, but the production values are low.

Check here for some videos of in-water skills (click on the links under "Skills" in the nav bar): http://www.5thd-x.com/index2.html

WJL:
The 3 DVD set from GUE is all dry-land discussions and demonstrations of equipment and techniques. There are no in-water skills demonstrated. In general the information provided is valuable, but the production values are low.

Check here for some videos of in-water skills (click on the links under "Skills" in the nav bar): http://www.5thd-x.com/index2.html

There's the older DIR tapes/videos's out there if you want to check those out... i also find SeaJay's write up of his DIR-F experience very helpful DIR Class: The Truth Comes Out

The DVD's are really dry... I found myself fast forwarding alot. Also if you know someone with a video camera ask them to video you on a dive then you'll have proof of how much youve improved post DIR-F

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom