Hunting in a new dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandy3206

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last sunday we did a spearo dive in the notheast of the island, the sea was very calm so we cruise further north outside of the protection of the "cordillera" that runs between Fajardo and Culebra.

This is open ocean and it's allways a rough ride and with ripping currents so this place never gets dived by anyone. Since the sea was 1'-1.5', we decided to give it a try and jumped in a place where the top of the reef is at 80' and the bottom of the wall is at about 110'.

Most of the action took place at around 90' on the wall and we had to deal with many cudas that own the place.

The catch was 6 hogfish for a total of 13# of fish in my stringer and my buddy got one lobster, 1 hogfish and 1 cabrilla, not bad for a 29 min dive.

I wish this place remains like that and it probably will since it's very dificult to dive unless the seas are very calm.

I named the spot, "Picuas Alley" since I had to defend my catch from many cudas (about 6 or 7) ranging from 3' to 6'+

Mandy3206:
"Picuas Alley"

that's what we called them in Cuba too. the word was "picuda" ("pointy fish" or
"beaked fish"), but everybody said "picua"

sounds like you had a great time

Yep, great time indeed, just 2 divers and 2 surface floats, very easy for the captain to keep track of us in the open seas.

We never separated more than 60 ft from each other while under water, and keep an eye for each other while reloading.

We got planeed 3 more spearo dives before the big weekend at Mona, in special at Monito, the best diving I've ever done.
We don't plan on spear fish in Monito since the current is very strong, but anything can cruise by while diving Monito, a very thrilling dive.

Quetzal, if you come by, just drop me a line and we can dive together.

Thanks.
Mandy3206:
Yep, great time indeed, just 2 divers and 2 surface floats, very easy for the captain to keep track of us in the open seas.

We never separated more than 60 ft from each other while under water, and keep an eye for each other while reloading.

We got planeed 3 more spearo dives before the big weekend at Mona, in special at Monito, the best diving I've ever done.
We don't plan on spear fish in Monito since the current is very strong, but anything can cruise by while diving Monito, a very thrilling dive.

Quetzal, if you come by, just drop me a line and we can dive together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom