loran to GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298

Reaction score
im looking for 1 or two things. or even both.
i have loran numbers for the delaware and would like to convert them to GPS if anyone has the technology.
13965.5, 25714.4
so if anyone has acurate GPS numbers, and or can convert these for me.
TIA

Diesel298:
im looking for 1 or two things. or even both.
i have loran numbers for the delaware and would like to convert them to GPS if anyone has the technology.
13965.5, 25714.4
so if anyone has acurate GPS numbers, and or can convert these for me.
TIA

The CG has a free program that does this: www.rdc.uscg.gov/rdcpages/soft-posaid2.html

From doing very quick research online, it appears this is not 100% precise but it may be a start for you.

--Matt

thanks

i dunno if im doin something wrong but it dont seem to be workin right : ...?

The conversion is poor at best. Loran had great repeatable accuracy, better than consumer GPS for a long time but it's true accuracy has always been lacking. Your best bet is to do what I did, run both on the boat. I used my loran to get me back to a spot I had been and then mark it on the GPS. I still run both, I already own them and if one fails, the other is up and running so why not.

Diesel298:
thanks

i dunno if im doin something wrong but it dont seem to be workin right : ...?
Diesel
Herman is absolutely right. I had the same problem: over 100 LORAN coordinates
gathered over many years. I too run with both units and convert the same way
It has taken me about 4 years of going to each spot with the LORAN and then seeing
what the reading on the GPS is. I am still not done, but I am close. The good news is
that I have found that GPS with either a Differential reciver or WAAS is nearly dead on!
Even without these, GPS is really close!

Actually, Loran was accurate in some areas. In other areas, it wasn't all that great. In the Keys, it would put you close enough to a wreck that you could find it eventually. In the Gulf, it could put you right on the spot.

well my problem is i have GPS and not loran.
or i would run out using the loran numbers, and then mark it on GPS

Diesel298:
well my problem is i have GPS and not loran.
or i would run out using the loran numbers, and then mark it on GPS
If you have loran TD numbers they translate better to GPS lat lon than most loran lat lon numbers, but you can try some of the software to at least get you close. The translations seem to work the best if you’re off shore and worse if you’re close to land and especially hilly land. If you check around some of the marine electronics shops you may be able to find an old loran unit you can rent for a month or two to do your translations. You might even try putting an ad in a local paper for someone to loan or rent you their loran.

I borrowed an older aviation loran from the local avionics shop to do some conversions, and I discovered some software calculated locations were within 20’ and others were as much as 250’ off.

ive fould a few different programs to convert but they are all trails or something and dont do the north east..
i just have 1 set of numbers i need converted. even if its 250 feet off, thats ok oill be happy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom