DAN O2 & Haz. Marine Life Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron:
My wife and I are thinking of taking these courses, they seem like good topics to know based on the write ups, and I was hoping to get a bit of feedback from anyone who may have taken them. We'll be doing a lot of tropical diving. Good courses to take or a waste of money?

Ref: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/training/courses/hml/
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/training/courses/so2/index.asp

I think both are good courses, especially for laypeople. They provide good ground work for basic first aid and the importance of O2 administration for DCI. Hope you enjoy it!

Since oxygen is the primary first aid for most diving emergencies, I think all divers should be trained in its administration. The DAN O2 class is probably the best way to get that training.

Something to consider ... the Diving Emergency Management Provider (DEMP) course combines both of the classes you're considering with AED administration. It's a good class, and usually costs about the same as taking the two classes separately. You might want to look into it.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/training/courses/demp/index.asp

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There isn't a DAN instructor in the country I'm currently in and while there is one (yep, just one) where I'm going, he's a good 100+ miles away. We're swinging through the US for a few weeks to relax with family but we're kind of limited to what's available when and where we are.

My wife was an EMT for a number of years so I'm sure that a lot of this will be knowledge she already has but it'll be new for me and we feel that having one person with the knowledge is useless if that's the person who needs help. If she ever got to Asst Instructor level, she'd make a great instructor for this stuff, with her previous background and our habit of working in 3rd world countries.

Halthron:
There isn't a DAN instructor in the country I'm currently in and while there is one (yep, just one) where I'm going, he's a good 100+ miles away. We're swinging through the US for a few weeks to relax with family but we're kind of limited to what's available when and where we are.

My wife was an EMT for a number of years so I'm sure that a lot of this will be knowledge she already has but it'll be new for me and we feel that having one person with the knowledge is useless if that's the person who needs help. If she ever got to Asst Instructor level, she'd make a great instructor for this stuff, with her previous background and our habit of working in 3rd world countries.

Where and when are you traveling thru the USA? If it happens to be in the Seattle area ... well ... I'm a DAN instructor ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Phoenix, where it seems most of the DAN instructors haven't changed their contact phone numbers since the area codes changed... must've been eight years ago. In July, I'd much rather be in Seattle!

Halthron:

The Oxygen administration class would still be good for your wife, even though she has the skills (depends also on how long she has been out of the field). The signs/symptoms of DCI as well as the recommended method of O2 administration for each type may be new to her or would be a good refresher. It is also beneficial to understand how oxygen affects the body (as a drug) in relation to DCI which is often not taught in EMT programs. It really helps drive home the importance of aggressive oxygen therapy. I think its great that you two think it important enough to look into the training, so many people blow it off not realizing the importance.

I took those courses combined with a CPR refresher. Talk to your instructor. Ours also went over the AED (Defibrillator) portion, and I found it quite worthwhile.

I'm pretty sure you could get your instructor to cover the AED as well, and it would be worth inquiring into it.

I also agree with the others regarding kudos to you and your wife. Too many divers don't make the effort to get this kind of training. Continue diving long enough and I suspect one day it will come in handy.

Doc

Back
Top Bottom