old newbie with a technical question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glypnir

New
Reaction score
I just turned 50, but I'm brand new to Scuba. Got certified for PADI open water about a month ago, but I wasn't really impressed with the course and didn't really feel adequately prepared. So now I'm taking an SSI course where the head instructor has been teaching and diving for 47 years. It seems much more useful.

Anyway, my question is this - Can I put the Suunto SM-16 depth gauge on the end of my wife's Cobra? It sure seems like I should be able to, both based on the notion of modularity, and based on the demo that Suunto has on the web, but that guy with 47 years of diving experience says Aqualung tells him no. Anybody know anything?

regards,
glypnir.

I'm not sure... I reckon the easiest way is to try it.
But why?
If you want a redundant depth gauge, just carry it in a pocket - in the unlikely event the Cobra fails you can haul it out and look at it.
The SK7 compass has a "Cobra compatible" mount and is, in my opinion, a far more useful addition to the console.
Rick :)

Hello Glypnir,

why not start with this link: A beginner's guide to the ScubaBoard.Com forums.
It will give you lots of info regarding ScubaBoard.

Please fill out your Public Profile (and Dive Info) using the User CP when you've got the time so we can get to know you a little bit better. If you want to, you can have a look at my Public Profile for inspiration. :wink:

Can't help you with the gauge though.

Laurens

BTW, welcome (Scub)aBoard!

glypnir:
I just turned 50, but I'm brand new to Scuba. Got certified for PADI open water about a month ago, but I wasn't really impressed with the course and didn't really feel adequately prepared. So now I'm taking an SSI course where the head instructor has been teaching and diving for 47 years. It seems much more useful.

Anyway, my question is this - Can I put the Suunto SM-16 depth gauge on the end of my wife's Cobra? It sure seems like I should be able to, both based on the notion of modularity, and based on the demo that Suunto has on the web, but that guy with 47 years of diving experience says Aqualung tells him no. Anybody know anything?

regards,
glypnir.

The cobra is a computer. it already shows you your depth. Why would you want to attach another depth gauge to that?

R..

You finally got into Scuba, eh - younger than I did, anyway. :35: Be sure to check out this :newbie: forum - something I didn't know about then...! :doh: New Divers & Those Considering Diving

For more on your question, why not check this forum: Computers, Gauges, Watches & Analyzers

:bandit_2: don

:azvatar: I wanted to welcome you to the community. I think it’s the best board on the internet for divers. The people on here make it a really friendly place. It’s a great place to see what’s going on with divers. Just wanted to make you feel welcome! If you’d like to chat, please PM me.

Take care and Safe Diving.

:balloon
Click here to greet a new member!

No experience needed and it feels great!

welcome to the board. did you get an answer in the computer & guage forum?

Thanks for all the comments and the welcome. Let me answer the question about why I want a depth gauge and a computer, and why I don't want it in my pocket.

1. Sometimes computer depth indications fail quietly and just read erroneously. If you read the lessons for living, or whatever they call it, at scubadiving.com, they give an example. An experienced diver's primary computer seemed to be working fine on some deep dives. So he left his secondary computer in the pocket. After he got bent, they finally looked at this secondary computer. It was in error mode. They figured out that his primary computer was reading wrong for depth. I figure that the depth gauge being right out there in front will make this less likely. And it's one less thing to keep track of.

2. This relates to the compass that Uncle Ricky mentions. First of all, I do plan to put a compass on the end of the system. With everything on the same stick, if the computer fails during a low visibility navigation situation, you can just switch to looking at the depth gauge. I'm afraid that if I rookie like me had a computer fail in a situation like that I would find myself either sinking to the bottom or popping to the surface while I looked for the backup. And they how am I going to hold the backup and the compass at the same time? One in each hand?

I admit it is a bit of overkill and redundancy, but it isn't that much money or aggravation. Maybe if I like it, and start diving deeper, I'll put in a second computer instead of the depth gauge.

I tried Suunto USA and Suunto Finland by e-mail and phone - no conclusive answers yet. I called Underseas Scuba Center in some Chicago suburb, and Bruce there was very helpful. He overcame his initial negative reaction, tried putting them together, and it worked. Kudos to Bruce. Underseas Scuba Center is the only Authorized Suunto service center in the U.S. So now my local dive shop is convinced and they are ordering the setup for me.

Regards,
Glypnir

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

I use a Cobra but also have an SPG and depth gauge coming off the right side of my first stage that I slide into the right hand side opening behind the pocket on my BC. My compass is attached to the end of the Cobra. As I get older redundancy seems more and more like a good idea and sliding the extra gauges into the opening keeps me streamlined. I attach the computer to a stretch cord clip on a D-ring on my right shoulder so all I have to do is look down to see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom