Aqaurium Dive Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyarab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

There is a rather large aquarium opening by me in the very near future. I had emailed them and asked them if them had any positions (volunteer or employed) that needed certifed divers. They said they wouldn't require divers until after they were open for a year or so, and that divers would also be required to provide a few volunteer hours doing other things.

Anyways, my question, not that it's important, but would you log an aquarium dive? Just curious, doesnt really matter at this point cause the odds of me getting to do that are probably pretty slim, although it would be a pretty cool way to do some volunteer work.

Thanks.

I wouldn't count a confined water dive in the aquarium anymore than I would in the pool even if the aquarium was 30 feet deep. But I'd count it as cool.

But no one is going to police your logbook, if you feel it's a dive then it's your call.

dyarab:
Hey all,

There is a rather large aquarium opening by me in the very near future. I had emailed them and asked them if them had any positions (volunteer or employed) that needed certifed divers. They said they wouldn't require divers until after they were open for a year or so, and that divers would also be required to provide a few volunteer hours doing other things.

Anyways, my question, not that it's important, but would you log an aquarium dive? Just curious, doesnt really matter at this point cause the odds of me getting to do that are probably pretty slim, although it would be a pretty cool way to do some volunteer work.

Thanks.
I am a volunteer diver at the Virginia Aquarium in Virginia Beach, diving mainly in the Chesapeake Bay Aquarium and I am also a member of the Harbor Seal Exhibit diving team.

I do not log the dives.

If they intend to go a year without volunteer divers, they are in for a big surprise when the algae gets to work.

Don Burke:
If they intend to go a year without volunteer divers, they are in for a big surprise when the algae gets to work.
I was thinking the same thing :)

My wife and I dove in the 6 mnillion gallon aquarium at Epcot last week. We were swiming with the sharks and rays. We logged it in our books because it was a dive that very few people do and the experience was really cool (entertaining the tourists through the windows and trying to stay out of the way of the giant sea turtle). If we were to dive it again, we probably would not log it.

Andrew

Im doing the epcot thing in about 10 days. Will log it as a one-off unique thing to do. Im not really that bothered about logging dives unless something useful/memorable happens.

You will really enjoy the Epcot dive. It is very cool experience. THe corals in the aquarium are fake and look like it when in the aquarium. The fish are really cool, but watching the little kids through the glass is the best part.

Andrew

If I remember the standards right, it takes a minimum of 15' deep, 15 minutes, and an entry/exit in open water to make a loggable dive. With that said, there's really no reason you can't log it just to record memories, or for your own reference, but it won't be counted if you do something that requires a minimum number of logged dives, such as DM/DiveCon/Instructor.

I figured it would not be counted as an "Open Water" dive. But it would be cool to do nonetheless. Thanks for all the replies.
04.gif

My buddy volunteer dives at the Aquarium of the Pacific. He keeps a seperate log book for his own personal records. So I guess its an "unofficial" logbook of cool memories of his experiences and accounts with the different animals he feeds and cares for. Also, you may want to look into the criteria for volunteers. I know at AOP, they require Rescue Certification, min. 60 logged dives and you have to pass a test and demonstrate good buoyancy skills in a pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom