discover scuba and flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mossym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i have a feeling this could be one of the sillier questions i'll ask on scubaboard, but here goes anyway, my 14 year old brother is coming to visit me for 3 weeks, he's always hearing me go on about diving, so for fun i was going to take him to the free discover scuba session my shop runs. Basically they get you to put on the gear, and swim in the pool..i think he'd enjoy it..it's only 10ft deep..

however they only run it on a friday, and they only friday he can do it we fly to vegas the following morning for the weekend.the flight will be just less than 12 hours later...i don't think it is any problem for him (and me) to do it, but i just thought i'd ask in case anyone saw any problems with it?

Tell him to go easy on the N2, and remember to hydrate. :wink:

as you know, DAN reccomends 12 hours after a single no-decompression dive

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=54

if you look at the tables, a 1-hour dive to 35 feet (the minimum depth available)
will be "paid for" after 5 hours and 10 minutes.

if it were me, i would not fly for at least 8 hours after such a dive, and that would
be pushing it for me. i probably wouldn't do it. i would wait at least 10 hours just
for the peace of mind.

when you say "just less" than 12 hours, do you mean 10 or 11 hours? if so,
your lil bro will be ok, given the depth (10 feet) and a likely short dive.

Yep no issues at all with that, the depth is so shallow it doesnt figure at all regarding nitrogen loading.

mossym:
it's about 11 hours...thanks for the replies guys...

Given airline delays you'll probably be over the 12 hour min. anyways! :D

Glad to hear another might be added to our numbers. Hope he has a blast!

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom