Looking for dive shop to test BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be in the East Valley in July and am looking for a dive shop that has a pool where I can rent some BCs to try out. I'd rather not have to drive up to Saguaro to test them so I'd prefer an LDS with a pool. I'm especially looking to try out some BP/W styles as every time I've tried where I am here, I've had no luck. Anyone have a suggestion of an LDS with a variety of BCs to rent?

Try Ocean Planet in Tempe

don O

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Halthron:
I'll be in the East Valley in July and am looking for a dive shop that has a pool where I can rent some BCs to try out. I'd rather not have to drive up to Saguaro to test them so I'd prefer an LDS with a pool. I'm especially looking to try out some BP/W styles as every time I've tried where I am here, I've had no luck. Anyone have a suggestion of an LDS with a variety of BCs to rent?
Ocean Planet is probably the best choice in that area. Roy - the owner - is a Tec/Wreck diver and there's a Tec section in the store. He's also a really good guy, he comes to our AZScuba meetings occasionally. Ask him about the Phillipines - if you have an extra hour. They have a pool onsite.

Another choice would be El Mar in Mesa, they sell OMS and have a pool onsite also. Although their BP/W selection was limited - at least what was on display - I was just there a couple weeks ago. In all fairness, I wasn't looking at BP/W's though so maybe they have more than I saw. It's the biggest LDS in town though so worth a look. Actually both El Mar and Ocean Planet are on Broadway Road, just in different cities.

www.oceanplanetscuba.com
www.elmar.com

Steve

El Mar only carries OMS BP/Wing combos as far as I know, but they say they can get anything. El Mar is, by deliberate choice, non-tech, so you won't find many BP/Wing advocates there. A couple of the people there like Vic and David (the repair guy) have tech experience, and they both dive OMS, if I recall correctly.

I believe Ocean Planet carries Dive Rite gear, and I've been fairly happy with their prices (bought my Pressed Steels LP104's from them at an attractive price).

Scuba Sciences (Central/West Valley) carries Halcyon and Deep Outdoors (unless they dropped those brands in the last year. I haven't visited them for a while).

I don't know of any places where you can try the Koplin BP or the Oxycheq wing, but they look pretty similar to Halcyon (though I've heard that many people like them better).

I have both double and single Halcyon wings, so if you get really hard up on wings, send me a PM and I can meet you at El Mar (10 minutes from my office) for a go in the pool with them.

AzAtty:
Scuba Sciences (Central/West Valley) carries Halcyon and Deep Outdoors (unless they dropped those brands in the last year. I haven't visited them for a while)
They still do but I was just at their Metrocenter store 2 wks. ago and they didn't have any on display. So I'd call first before you drive up there, it's a pretty small store so they may just be out of stock. I did see a Halcyon Eclipse with a Halcyon SS backplate there this spring. They're good about letting you try things out in their pool, but prices aren't the best. I may go by there this weekend so if I do I'll post an update here.

Back
Top Bottom