So what is your excuse? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : So what is your excuse?

Sponsored Link

RIDIVER501
June 17th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Once again, it is the beginning of the dive season for most people in the NE. and the question I keep getting asked at the shop is, "how can you dive so much?" Most of the people asking the question only logg around 10 dives a summer if that.
top 3 excuses given are:
Nobody to dive with.
too busy on the weekend.
too much hassle.

My counter question is why do you dive to little?
one of My DM candidates started coming to the fun dives the shop holds once a week and ended up logging 10 dives in a month with little effort.
people go out on week nights. why not go knock out a wed night, night dive?
or if you aren't night dive certified or don't like diving at night, the sun isn't setting until late. heck even if it were setting at 7 one still has at least a 2 hour window to make one dive between 5 and 7, close proximity of water permitting of course.

so if you are an infrequent diver, or some one who doesn't dive as much as you'd like, what is your excuse? maybe this should even be a poll?

Mike Veitch
June 17th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Hmmmm, i have no excuse, i dive 14-18 times a week.........
but then again its always summer here!

( so sorry for that comment folks but it was just begging for such an answer!!)

RIDIVER501
June 17th, 2005, 09:24 AM
good on ya.
But I am looking for the response from those who are barely diving. from a couple times a season to only when they go away on vacation.

Divers like you and I who dive just becuase or have more access becuase it is part of our jobs...don't have an excuse because we don't need one

DORSETBOY
June 17th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Ive spoken to a lot of students doing their advanced who've barely dived since their open water course.

Up in Scotland, a frequently quoted reason Ive heard is that they've learnt overseas and believe the bull ***** when they get back home that if you learnt in warm tropical waters you somehow are unable to dive in the UK.

Also though a lot of clubs are not elitist and are pretty open, there are too many that aren't and that stops a lot of folk joining clubs and meeting other divers to go diving with.

lord1234
June 17th, 2005, 10:33 AM
How about "not certified yet" (this weekend)

jonnythan
June 17th, 2005, 10:46 AM
It's a 3-5 hour drive to anywhere that's worth diving for me, but I still do it as much as I can. Headed up to Ontario tonight to spend all weekend in the St Lawrence.

RiverRat
June 17th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Well I started out good. Got in 5 dives in my new drysuit and then got a nasty ear infection. So I'm down for another couple weeks. So there's my excuse :eyebrow:

Hoosier
June 17th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I bet "too much hassle." I tried to dive after the work during the weekday, Wednesday or Friday. It is too mcuh hassle to have fun with the dive. It requires at least 6 hrs including the transportation for the simple local trip. So,~~~

Mike Veitch
June 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Ive spoken to a lot of students doing their advanced who've barely dived since their open water course.

Up in Scotland, a frequently quoted reason Ive heard is that they've learnt overseas and believe the bull ***** when they get back home that if you learnt in warm tropical waters you somehow are unable to dive in the UK.

Also though a lot of clubs are not elitist and are pretty open, there are too many that aren't and that stops a lot of folk joining clubs and meeting other divers to go diving with.

Well, this is just a thought from a non UK person but...everyone i have ever spoken to that is BSAC certified is elitist in this way. They all think they are the best divers and are completely anti PADI or anyone else. Therefore a lot of the younger people who go to Thailand, Oz etc and get certified there are probably somewhat intimidated by all the old school BSAC guys who hang out at the shops back home.

Was going to excuse myself for getting off topic but then again i don't think i am
Mike

String
June 17th, 2005, 11:41 AM

However without further training or experience that risk of them hurting or killing themselves is massively increased as a south coast coroner reported last year.

Cold waters, low vis, rough seas, thick exposure protection IS a big difference from say the red sea and does need extra practice or training with someone experienced. There were several cases last year alone where people were hurt or killed jumping into the sea or inland sites here having only dived abroad and getting into difficulty.

Regardless of agency some training or guidance is needed to transfer to these waters.

RIDIVER501
June 17th, 2005, 11:45 AM
That would fall on the close proximity to a suitable dive site.

I know when i was stationed in mississippi. I was right on the gulf coast. but hardly dove there becuase you need a boat to get far out to be deep enough to dive. would have to drive 4+hours to the springs in the pan-handle of FLA or got to p-cola or fort walton beach to catch a charter.

RIDIVER501
June 17th, 2005, 11:45 AM
illness is a valid excuse

mossym
June 17th, 2005, 11:46 AM
However without further training or experience that risk of them hurting or killing themselves is massively increased as a south coast coroner reported last year.

Cold waters, low vis, rough seas, thick exposure protection IS a big difference from say the red sea and does need extra practice or training with someone experienced. There were several cases last year alone where people were hurt or killed jumping into the sea or inland sites here having only dived abroad and getting into difficulty.

yeah i well believe this..i learnt in the cold stuff, then on my first warm water trip i was listening to this guy go on about how he had almost 50 dives, in grand cayman, bonaire, hawaii, he sucked down an al80 in 20 mins, was first back on the boat, and watching him have trouble in a little 3mil wetsuit with hardly no weight all i could think was he'd need his hand held for a long time in cold water...

not saying it can't be done...just need a little help to make the switch

jonnythan
June 17th, 2005, 11:47 AM
That would fall on the close proximity to a suitable dive site.

I know when i was stationed in mississippi. I was right on the gulf coast. but hardly dove there becuase you need a boat to get far out to be deep enough to dive. would have to drive 4+hours to the springs in the pan-handle of FLA or got to p-cola or fort walton beach to catch a charter.
3.5 hours east is the MA coast, 3.5 hours south is the NJ coast, 4-5 hours northwest is Ontario.

That's pretty much that.. it sucks but I deal ;)

RIDIVER501
June 17th, 2005, 11:49 AM
How about "not certified yet" (this weekend)

That is a technicality not an excuse.http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/Standard%20Smiles/04.gif
one shouldn't be racking up dives (except training dives) if one isn't certified yet.

Rick Inman
June 17th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Couldn't dive last night - didn't get home until 10pm. Have to do honey-dos tonight.

I will dive again Saturday, so this week I'll only get 3 dives in.

Those are my excuses.

Giggi
June 17th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Don't own my own gear yet. Only one place close by. Kids at home and an elderly mother to take care of...life in general...lack of funds.

RIDIVER501
June 17th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Yes even though I am a dive instructor I still have to do a bit of tap-dancing to get (Commander- In- Chief) CINC house give me my diving liberty card, for fun dives. except when on vacation. We are there for me to dive like a maniac, so she is happy enough to lounge around in the sun.

asmith5
June 17th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I don't own any of the equipment other than my mask, snorkel, and fins, so the cost is a huge factor right now. Once I can afford to buy some equipment and skip the rental fees I will be able to dive a lot more often. We just moved to Florida last week, so I am hoping to get a lot more diving in.

Andrew

RIDIVER501
June 17th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Not owning your own equipment can be a problem, but ultimately investing in gear can get you diving more for a variety of reasons.
you have your own gear so you aren't at the mercy of an LDSs hours of operations.
you want to dive so you didn't just throw your money away buying the gear.
Over time, the gear you saves you money on rental.
My favorite is: it is your gear...you know where it has been.

Moogyboy
June 17th, 2005, 02:18 PM
My excuse is:

Only time anyone else I know is diving is usually Sundays, which is the same day my band practices. Incidentally, this is also the reason why I always have to miss my local dive club meetings. Except it's my other band. Which is even LESS commercial. But has a record out on a label. Go figure. It's tough being a rookie rock star.

cheers

Billy S.

Hoosier
June 17th, 2005, 02:21 PM
What band? Are you a rocker?

RIDIVER501
June 17th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I guess that brings a whole new meaning to the term my buddy uses, "diving like a rock star" guess it really means one isn't able to go diving at all.. Bummer

TheDavil
June 17th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Not owning your own equipment can be a problem, but ultimately investing in gear can get you diving more for a variety of reasons.

I understand where you're coming from, but, at least for me, it's just not an option at this point. My wife was 'downsized' and we just do not have any disposible income. If I have the choice between paying my mortgage so I have someplace to live and buying $1500 worth of dive gear, I'm pretty much going to have to go with the mortgage.

I think those of us that have the 'I can't afford it' excuse can see the logic of owning our own equipment, but that's not the point.

If I owned my own, I'd be diving a lot. So if anyone has old gear that they just have laying around, tripping over it, and want to get rid of (I'll even pay shipping), let me know... ;)

David

RIDIVER501
June 17th, 2005, 03:03 PM
roger that on the mortgage. obvioulsy one doesn't not want to cut of one's nose to spite one's face.

macado
June 17th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I have only done about 3 dives since this season in NE opened. Two in Gloucester and one night dive in Nahant. While I'd love to go more, I have a few problems.
I own everything but tanks as of right now so i've been renting them from my local dive shop. If I wanted to do a spur of the moment dive, I can't. Also, none of my friends are certified or or if they are then they're warm water tropical divers.

I'll gladly dive with anybody here if they're in need of a buddy or just looking for an extra person to join the group. I'm located in Revere, MA which is very close to Nahant and a short ride to Boston or Gloucester

Of course, I'm off to Cozumel again from July 2th to July 9th so if anybody is there, i've love to meet up with some scubaboarders like last time.

-Mike

abitton
June 17th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Where are you headed? I'll be in Brockville and Prescott this weekend...

It's a 3-5 hour drive to anywhere that's worth diving for me, but I still do it as much as I can. Headed up to Ontario tonight to spend all weekend in the St Lawrence.

Hank49
June 17th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I did only 4 dives in the last two weeks. One day I cancelled because the vis was only 70 feet or so....another planned day the water was too warm....another day we pulled up to the site and casted a few times and started catching fish...before I knew it, it was getting dark. Yeah...life's a b***h sometimes. heh heh heh.

randy54
June 17th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Long drive, 3-4 hours. Passed this weekend to give blood. Next outing is set for 1 July.

cameron
June 17th, 2005, 04:27 PM
I really can't bring myself to go diving because I just spent 3 hours a day cleanning zebra muscles off a bar screen in a nuclear power plant. By the end of the work week I don't want to see another drysuit till monday. Commercial diving.... who ever said to make your hobbie in life a carrer should be shot!!! :crying2: :redhot: :sigh_2: :icon16: :splat:

Web Monkey
June 17th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I did only 4 dives in the last two weeks. One day I cancelled because the vis was only 70 feet or so....another planned day the water was too warm....another day we pulled up to the site and casted a few times and started catching fish...before I knew it, it was getting dark. Yeah...life's a b***h sometimes. heh heh heh.

70'?!!

I couldn't see my fins yesterday. 8-(

Terry

Kriterian
June 17th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I began my (second) certification in June 2004 and got an ear infection during the last session of pool work. That put me out of diving for several months and I was able to get certified at the end of August. After that it was too cold around here for me to dive since I can't afford a dry suit.

In March, 2005 I decided to give diving a try again in our 50 degree quarry in a wetsuit. It went fine and I was able to extend my theoretical dive season after learning it was possible to dive in those temps. I also managed to get another ear infection which when it healed I immediately got an ear fungus. That put out of diving again until June and all went well. I have some more dives coming up at the coast next weekend, so that will put at 10 dives, almost a year after certification.

Once I get rolling, I can see that the costs will be inhibiting. It costs me about 30 dollars to rent the tanks and dive the quarry. Going to the NC coast is mega expensive with hotels being 50-200 a night, and the boat dives are priced at 100+ per day.

However, I'm of the opinion that I do this hobby for my pleasure. It's not a race to fill my logbook or get some stupid card that alleges my experience and I can wear it next to my 2 foot long dive knife on my thigh.

Moogyboy
June 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM
What band? Are you a rocker?

www.floorian.com
www.twiggyandfrollywog.com

cheers

Billy S.

Wijbrandus
June 17th, 2005, 05:22 PM
My excuses? Don't own my own 7mm and tanks. Getting nitrox fills take prior planning. It's a whole day affair, and my wife wants to do other things too. She doesn't like cold murky mountain water, and neither does my backup-buddy.

I got a whole list of them, but I do my best to ignore my list.

Wristshot
June 17th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Busy.

I snow ski 20+ days a year and that involves 7 - 8 Race days, plus Race Clinics on 5 weekends. Also two more weekends for Championships (Nor Cal and Far West) so that ties up about 7 weekends (8 this year due to reschedules). In addition I go on one ski week which consumes 2 more weekends. Then there is the Far West Ski Convention one weekend in June. One more weekend for Far West Summer Rules Meeting, and one more for USSA Race Official Training, and at least one for Open League Summer Meeting. I might go skiing "just for fun" one weekend a year. That consumes about 15 weekends a year for skiing related things.

I try to waterski/wakeboard another 6+. That is another 3 - 5 weekends a year at least. The Waterski season kick-off party raises that one more.

Family obligations dictate at least 6 weekends a year for holidays, birthdays, Mother's day etc. Holiday parties for work and clubs might add another one.

Halloween is the most important time of year for me, and that consumes 3 weekends a year with parties, not counting the time necessary for building costumes.

There are other activities done with the various clubs like backpacking, hiking, cycling, sailing, Surfing, kayaking or whitewater rafting. This weekend is a "work weekend" at the cabin at Lake Tahoe. That usually keeps me busy for 3 - 7 weekends a year.

Occasionally I need to mow the lawns, pull the weeds etc. Forget washing any cars.

I try to do a couple dive trips a year, so that ties up 1 - 3 weekends, plus I don't generally dive 3 days before or after a trip, so that means 3 - 6 weekends. I also dive at least a couple weekend days a year.

That ties uproughly 35 - 44 weekends a year, not counting dates or working weekends for urgent projects.

Gee, I guess you are right, I have no excuse for not diving more.

Wristshot

simbrooks
June 17th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Excuses i have fooled myself with a few, including:
Distance: 2+ hours for any decent cave dives/2.5+ hours for any decent reef dives.
Buddies: spread out over FL (from SB), geting my GF trained at the moment as insta-buddy, so that should change soon.
Time: Have been putting in 60+ hours per week lately, including weekend time behind the desk, then sundays are butchered by attendance at church, so a bunch of weekends are out from all that, also no night diving options in my area and i get out at 7-9pm most nights when i dont feel like doing anything but sleeping (same excuses i have used for working out lately, or lack thereof).
Gear: no i have all i need.
Money: trying to be less flamboyant with cash, so only state parks (annual pass) and beach diving most of the time, leaves me with air, gas and tolls as i crashing on sofa's of other SB members.
Other activities: in my spare time in the mornings and late evenings i have been redoing the garden as well as trying to tend to other activities when its not scorching hot outside.
Weather: been put off cave diving in my DS when its 95F and very sunny out.

jcm996
June 17th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Not owning a boat. I make 2-4 dives a week, but shore dives at the same 5 places start to get old. If I would charter a boat it gets to expensive. So I can live with 2-4 a week until the ice forms. I've only made 24 dives so far this year.

BurBunny
June 17th, 2005, 09:38 PM
My excuses? Don't own my own 7mm and tanks. Getting nitrox fills take prior planning. It's a whole day affair, and my wife wants to do other things too. She doesn't like cold murky mountain water, and neither does my backup-buddy.

What he said. Since I'd only use a 7mm and tanks to dive here in cold murky mountain water which doesn't interest me, I travel to dive. However, do get significantly more than 10 dives a year, thankfully!

Alex777
June 18th, 2005, 12:00 AM
<< Once again, it is the beginning of the dive season for most people in the NE. and the question I keep getting asked at the shop is, "how can you dive so much?" >>

Well, it's not just people in the NE. I live on Grand Cayman, and am constantly struck by the large no. of people I meet here (residents) who are "planning to get back into diving real soon" or "just about to take it up." They are considerably more numerous than those who dive regularly. It seems that, if you live on a tropical island, not being an active diver can be a source of some embarrassment, but not enough to actually motivate you to take it up. Hard to say what their reasons are - it's just not a priority, I guess.

ToddMH
June 18th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I'm just starting with the sport, and bumping into it's incompatibilities with the student lifestyle. Gear (at least the gear I want) is a bit pricey for my budget, plus I don't have a car and the dive clubs and dive shops around me all seem to meet outside of the city for their organized trips. We'll see what I can do as the season picks up. I think I need to work on my dive buddy networking...

blueeyes_austin
June 19th, 2005, 12:13 AM
I hate diving in the local lake and the nearest decent salt water diving in the Flower Gardens is a two day boat trip away...and the one I was supposed to go on this week was cancelled! Since it costs a minimum of $700 for a decent diving experience for me and my wife, we don't get to go all that often.

Bill51
June 19th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Itís sad to admit that I was diving much more (at least 40 days per year) when I lived in Kansas than since Iíve moved to an island in Florida, but hopefully thatíll change this summer. Business had me on the road 3 weeks out of the month for the first 2 years here, and I just came off a 4 month recovery from a pinched nerve in my neck that caused DCS like pains in my arm.

I went off shore Friday planning on getting in some fishing and diving, but we hooked up with a few large dolphin fish (dinner was sure great) and wound up fishing longer than planned and then the storms started up just as we got to the wreck we wanted to dive. The best I could do for the weekend was strapping on a tank and spending 20 minutes working on the drain in the bottom of the pool and cleaning some of the hard to clean places in the pool.

OE2X
June 19th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I used up the gas in all six of my tanks this week and won't get fills until Monday. Oh well - six dives last week with nearly 9 hours of bottom time is still slacking for me.

Robert Phillips
June 19th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I used up the gas in all six of my tanks this week and won't get fills until Monday. Oh well - six dives last week with nearly 9 hours of bottom time is still slacking for me.
That is why you continue to be "THE MAN!"
Are you going to be around for some dives when I come up there in two weeks?

As to the question: I was wet last weekend. Did a shallow high speed drift dive in the Colorado River, but other than that, work and family obligations have kept me dry for the last two weeks. Conditions in California have been a little miserable for the last part of last year (winter is usually the best time to dive in So Cal) all the way up to March. I've got 18 dives so far this year when I normally have 40 or so. What are you gonna do? :11:

theskull
June 19th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Don't own my own gear yet. Only one place close by. Kids at home and an elderly mother to take care of...life in general...lack of funds.

Rent or borrow gear, or buy used.

Many dive sites within a few hour drive in Illinois.

Maybe once a month? You can do it if you WANT to. Email me if you need someone to dive with--and who has spare gear to share.

theskull

Splitlip
June 19th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I am disgusted with myself. I can see the (very glassy) Atlantic form the roof of my house, live within minutes of 5 dive ops and even have my own boat. But the lawn needs cutting, the garage needs cleaning, the kid has soccer game, got a report due Monday and the dog needs to go to the groomer.
Got more bottom time in the ocean when I lived in Indiana.

OE2X
June 19th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I am disgusted with myself. I can see the (very glassy) Atlantic form the roof of my house, live within minutes of 5 dive ops and even have my own boat. But the lawn needs cutting, the garage needs cleaning, the kid has soccer game, got a report due Monday and the dog needs to go to the groomer.
Got more bottom time in the ocean when I lived in Indiana.
Responsibilties? We don't need no stinkin' responsibitlies!!!

Rick Inman
June 19th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Today's excuse:

Father's day BBQ with the family (and granddaughter's 3rd birthday).

roturner
June 19th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Once again, it is the beginning of the dive season for most people in the NE. and the question I keep getting asked at the shop is, "how can you dive so much?" Most of the people asking the question only logg around 10 dives a summer if that.
top 3 excuses given are:
Nobody to dive with.
too busy on the weekend.
too much hassle.

My counter question is why do you dive to little?
one of My DM candidates started coming to the fun dives the shop holds once a week and ended up logging 10 dives in a month with little effort.
people go out on week nights. why not go knock out a wed night, night dive?
or if you aren't night dive certified or don't like diving at night, the sun isn't setting until late. heck even if it were setting at 7 one still has at least a 2 hour window to make one dive between 5 and 7, close proximity of water permitting of course.

so if you are an infrequent diver, or some one who doesn't dive as much as you'd like, what is your excuse? maybe this should even be a poll?

I can only dive twice a week. My wife actually likes it when I'm around and my kids start to address me as 'sir' if I spend too much time diving. From Monday to Thursday I work 10 hours a day and DM one evening so there isn't much "slipping away" room in that. Where I live a "quicky" takes about 3 hours round trip. I do dive on 3 Fridays a month and I manage about 30 weeks a year to get out on a weekend day (about 1/2 of that is DM-ing). I guess I could make several dives on a day but I rather prefer to make one 2 hour dive than to make two one hour dives. In any event the number of dives I make stopped being important to me many years ago. These days it's all about quality.

R..

dive_lover88
June 20th, 2005, 05:50 AM
I try to go diving every month,which is 6 dives a month...i dont think that is alot.But i cant help it if budget is not approved...

Ishie
June 20th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Neptune's been in a bad mood this month. Dive site is 3.5 hours away, and we've had nasty swell and poor vis for three weeks. Grrr. And lake diving doesn't do it for me. I'm crossing my fingers for this weekend though. I'm going nuts!

ibnygator
June 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Three hours to the St. Lawrence or three hours to Dutch Springs. As others have said, I enjoy seeing my wife and kids and, because they aren't divers, that means time away from diving.

I usually take one trip a year to a warmer climate to get what ands up being about half of the year's dives. This year it was 5 days and 16 dives in south Florida. Now I'll fight to find a day here or there to get some more dives in.

Oh well... :ne_nau:

jonnythan
June 20th, 2005, 01:52 PM
ibny, I'm looking to do a dive after work sometime this week.. interested? ;)

RonFrank
June 20th, 2005, 01:55 PM

I got a whole list of them, but I do my best to ignore my list.

I dive when I can, and where which in Denver is not a lot..

Wijbrandus, you missed a good second dive yesterday... I think Dan and I figured it out, and we actually enjoyed the whole dive with good vis.

As for cold.. IMO what we were doing yesterday was nice, or at least with a 7mm suit.

I was thinking of loosing the beenie for the second dive...

L8R

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1