Looking for lake dive sites in lower NH area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novisdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for some new lake dive sites in the lower NH area. They have to be accessible via shore entry. I've already done:

Winnie, Wolfboro
Danforth Pond, Freedom
Willard Pond, Hancock
Nubanoosic Lake, Hancock

Please note that it would be great if there was something there to see too. ;-)

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I would add Newfound lake to list. There are plenty posts on it in this board if you search it. I would be interested in your description of ones above (other than Winnie) There are others in Dublin that I know others go to.

Ditto about Newfound Lake, the wall there is a great dive. Another lake I dive that is a lot of fun in Pleasent Lake in Deerfield. Get in at the boat launch on the north end of the lake. Good visibility, resonable depth and friendly bass.

All this pales to a short drive to the coast and saltwater. IMHO.

If you're ever looking for a buddy in the southwestern corner of the state, I just relocated to North Walpole and work in Keene M-F. I'd be up for a freshwater dive before or after work. Feel free to PM me, I try to check sb daily.

Reefseal thanks for the tip I will check out Newfound Lake and Dublin.

The other spot descriptions are below:

Danforth Pond, Freedom:

This pond has public access next to the bridge. A small pond, but big enough to waterski on. Depths are about 50ft at it's deepest. Not a lot to see just muck and some boat engines and the like. There is fish life, bass, pickerel, trout. I decent practice dive, or if you don't feel like driving all the way to the coast.

Willard Pond, Hancock:

There's only one access point from the park. This pond is protected so no motor boats, only flyfishing allowed. There is also a loon sanctuary on the opposite end of the pond. This is one of my favorite pond/lake dives, lots of rock formations and fish. Bass are plenty and friendly. Bottom is a lot of muck, but there like I said are lots of rock formations. Another plus to the pond is lots of nutes or small lizards that also live here. They are green with orange spots, and are everywhere. The pond is quite big on the far end depths reach 54ft, but your best diving are to the left or right in 10 to 30 foot ranges.

Nubanoosic Lake, Hancock:

Not a bad dive for training and just washing the salt water out of your gear. Only one entry point at the boat ramp. Drops to 40 immediately off the boat ramp and stays at about 50 the whole dive. Water is pretty clear in early spring before algae starts to grow. Not a lot to see here. Some trout, and very few rocks. Bottom is mainly sandy with some muck and lake weeds mixed in. Again good practice dive to get equipement dialed in or just getting to know a buddy.

Cecil thanks for the tip I will check Newfound and Pleasant Lake.

I agree about the ocean dives. Here's the thing though, I lead dives every Friday morning for a local shop. We get all levels of diver so I like to mix things up a bit, a few lake dives, a few ocean dives. Try to keep it interesting and this way people get varying experience in different environments.

Darkfrog not sure where your from, but I hope you like the cold water if your not from New England. I lead dives every Friday morning at different locations around New Hampshire, you are more than welcome to come along anytime. If there is a dive closer to your area let me know and I can schedule it in for a Friday.

novisdiver:
Darkfrog not sure where your from, but I hope you like the cold water if your not from New England. I lead dives every Friday morning at different locations around New Hampshire, you are more than welcome to come along anytime. If there is a dive closer to your area let me know and I can schedule it in for a Friday.

I just relocated to North Walpole from Plymouth, NH, so I actually moved south. Now that I live/work in southern NH I look forward to swapping my 7mm wetsuit for a 3mm shorty and still staying toasty while lake diving.

Hey novisdiver, New Found sounds like a great idea. I'm somewhat familiar with the lake having grown up there as a kid and I still have a lot of relatives that live there. Ask Barb. I know that she has dove in New Found many times when she was younger so she should know some good access points.

Oceanseleven:

Yeah, I talked to her about it, but she's never done the cliff mentioned. So should be a good one. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll see you there sir?

Back
Top Bottom