BP Harness Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlarbale

Contributor
Reaction score
All,

I now have the a SS backplate and am somewhat confused about what else I need. I have all the SS hardware for the harness and am awaiting the heavy duty webbing (Australia's a b*tch of a place to find simple things like this!). So once this is all together I'll be purchasing a wing.

The question is how does the wing connect to the backplate. The plate I have has slots for the normal tank bands and also the holes for SS tank bands. I've looked at using the normal tank bands through these slots for single tank diving and they don't seem to hold the tank firm enough (the plate will twist from side to side).

Pressumably I need a special plate for mounting singles? Also, does anyone know if I can use the Dive Rite twin plate meant for a Transpac II on the SS Backplate (thus allowing independants to be mounted on the backplate and avoid me purchasing another cylinder)?

Regards - Dave.

PS// Some pics would definately help!!

Which wing do you have/plan on getting? The most recent Halcyon wings for example don't require a seperate STA (but work better with one). Those particular wings use a short bolt with a flanged tube as a nut to hold the wing on.

Originally posted by dlarbale
The question is how does the wing connect to the backplate.
The wing is bolted between the doubles and the backplate. Or between the STA (single tank adapter) and the backplate. As you have already discovered the camband alone isn't a wonderful option.
Also, does anyone know if I can use the Dive Rite twin plate meant for a Transpac II on the SS Backplate (thus allowing independants to be mounted on the backplate and avoid me purchasing another cylinder)?
I suppose the Transpac stabilizer plates could be bolted backwards to the BP and would provide stability (I'm visualizing this - haven't actually tried it) for a single, but I suspect it would be an unsatisfactory overall arrangement. My recommendation is to buy the STA. As for independents, for the life of me I can't think how you could adapt the stabilizer plates to handle doubles of any sort on a BP. Dive Rite does make a doubler for independents that allows you to bolt 'em to the BP or to the Transpac just like banded doubles.
Right tool for the job and all that rot, don'tchaknow...
Rick

Mine is bolted to the bp with two SS wing nuts and the cambands run through the wing and the bp...worked great with no STA, so I don't plan to get one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom