Folly Cove, Sunday 6/18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DHGPJ

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Want to dive Folly Cove this Father's Day? I've got a brand-new E7-120 to try, and I need a buddy.

High tide is at 9:17 am and the forecast looks pretty good. Let's meet me at the Burger King on 128 at 8:30 am, and we'll have the easiest entry you can get at Folly.

Who's with me?

DHGPJ

DHGPJ:
Hi folks,

Want to dive Folly Cove this Father's Day? I've got a brand-new E7-120 to try, and I need a buddy.

High tide is at 9:17 am and the forecast looks pretty good. Let's meet me at the Burger King on 128 at 8:30 am, and we'll have the easiest entry you can get at Folly.

Who's with me?

DHGPJ

I just got out of the water 2 hours ago at Folly. The vis was kinda rough <10'. However, we caught the returning tide so that probably had a lot to do with it. Oddly enough, the place was deserted. Only 1 other diver.

Not a bug to be found. Tons of skate and the flounder are getting big. Saw 1 large striper and a smaller guy too. Also saw a good size eel. Overall not too bad but I was looking for the bugs and came back empty handed.

I got to Folly Cove this morning, and a decent wind was coming close to straight-in. Didn't look good. We went to Magnolia Rocks instead, and wound up having to dive a spot 1/4 mile east of the regular Magnolia Rocks dive-site, due to the frustrated home-owner there.

The 10-15 kt wind was driving a significant surface current and surge at the shallows, but below 20 feet, there wasn't too much current.

It was a good dive, 33 feet, 55 degrees at the bottom (!), 10-20 ft. viz. Only one fish larger than 3-4 inches, quite a few lobsters, although they were mostly juveniles. The rocks are a tricky entry and exit indeed, but if well-planned, it works out fine.

DHGPJ:
I got to Folly Cove this morning, and a decent wind was coming close to straight-in. Didn't look good. .

Folly was fine this morning the wind died as the day went on. Dove at just past high tide and everything was fine other that the viz which was only about 10'.

As to a previous comment from someone else about not finding any bugs, there are plenty at Folly if you know where to look. I don't catch the suckers since I'm from out-of-state but I do have a good time spotting them. Don't go lobstering on the west side. Lobster are much more abundant on the east side.

DHGPJ:
I got to Folly Cove this morning, and a decent wind was coming close to straight-in. Didn't look good. We went to Magnolia Rocks instead, and wound up having to dive a spot 1/4 mile east of the regular Magnolia Rocks dive-site, due to the frustrated home-owner there.

What happened with the homeowner? I was just there a week ago and the homeowner wasn't too bad. Planning on going back on Sat...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom