Wrecks in Phuket Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andibk

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any deep wrecks in Phuket Thailand. There is the King Cruiser which I dove 5 times this week and we know of a WW2 wreck in 70 meters. Does anybody know the location of any more????

Bruce

The only one I know of is the King Cruiser, lovely dive anytime.

If there is a WWII wreck it's off the beaten path of any diving school out there, not surprising if it's at -70.

I don't know what happened to the wreck of that LPG (?) carrier which was standing almost upright in the gulf of Thailand with the bow at 5m and the stern at about 60m. When we were out there in January it had started to move.

Agree with you Chiara, the King Cruiser is a nice dive.

Just for interest there is a small fishing boat about 10-15m down off one of the 2 small islets about 1.5 miles south of Phi Phi which had sunk in a storm not long before. It's an interesting little wreck and had already attracted some marine life including a banded sea snake.

Welshman,

the small fishing boat off PhiPhi is gone!

We saw it on a Tuesday, the following Monday it was gone, this happened about two weeks ago.

No kidding!

dlarbale, chiara
I know loads of wrecks in the Gulf of Thailand. There are about 5 wrecks in about 30 meters of water these are about a 5 hour boat ride out of Pattaya. My favorite is a Navy Patrol boat that has some neat penetration spots. Excellent nitrox or rebreather dives.
For the deeper wrecks I know a bunch of them also. In the past 17 months I have run trips out to 8 wrecks and 7 of them we believe we where the first to dive them. These wrecks are in about the 60-65 meter range. Some of the wrecks where about 80 meters long. In September I am running a trip out to two spots, one wreck is about 100 meters long and about 75 meters deep. The second one will be a drill ship that was capsized back in 1992 by Typhoon Gay.
Ancient Pottery wrecks. The list goes on. I have been on 5 ancient pottery wrecks and I know of 2 more to add onto the list. These lie in anywhere from 43-65 meters. Most of the pottery is anywhere from 400-700 years old and come from China, Thailand etc.I have been here for the past 8 years teaching and looking for caves, wrecks etc.

Bruce

Bruce,

you might well have being living in Thailand for 8 years, but you can't tell the difference between the gulf of Siam (more correct than Thailand) and the Andaman Sea.

The question was specifically about Phuket, and that was, until at least ten days ago, on the side facing India, not the one facing China.

If it has swapped places with Koh Tao and I'm not aware of it, please give details.

Why did you ask the question in the first place if you know so much about wrecks in the area?

This sounds very strange, even to me, with a very limited experience in the area and in diving in general.

Were you just trying to show off, trying to convince us that Koh Tao, Koh Samui and the likes are the only possible nice places to go diving in Thailand?

And yes, Pattaya, paradise on Earth?!

There is one last thing nagging at me: you say you dived the King Cruiser five times in the last week?

Are you sleeping on the emerged part of Shark Point?

Or did you borrow one of the cabins directly in the wreck?

There is no diving centre either on Phuket, on Phi Phi or in the Krabi area going to the wreck more than two, maximum three times a week, if you are on a liveaboard and you stay in one place, that must be boring, man!

And don't forget most of the schools are closed because of low season, many divedays are done on local sites for the very few customers who show up, and you can't go diving to the King Cruiser area on a long-tail boat.

What about the monsoon?

I was there less than two weeks ago, we had to cancel the wreck three times out of four because of bad seas, and I know, also from direct contact from friends who live and work there, that the situation is getting worse.

These are just ideas, but this whole thing strikes me as very, very strange.

chiara,
I am the one who actualy was asking about the wrecks in Phuket. I noticed that yourself and one other person answered to my reply and mentioned that you where diving in Thailand. I was just trying to let you know that there are alot of wrecks in the gulf maybe you would be interested in diving on them. We run trips out there whenever we get enough customers. I was not trying to show off or anything.
As far as the King Cruiser we where not able to use the same dive boat every day we went. My friend has a dive shop right down near the pier who knows the different dive shop owners. I believe we went with SeaBees, KonTiki and one other operations. The weather was beautiful everyday we went out. The last day we did have strong currents on the wreck was the only thing negative we experienced and that was not even tht bad. Had a great time.

Bruce

Bruce,

I know you were the one to ask the question in the first place.

This is getting stranger by the minute: you come in asking about other wrecks than the King Cruiser, and that was easy enough to answer.

Then you come back and you talk profusely about wrecks on the other side of Thailand, most of them well beyond recreational diving levels, a responsible instructor should pay attention to what he says, especially when posting on a forum which is well frequented by beginners as well as more experienced divers.

It is very difficult to find Nitrox in the Andaman Sea, you probably know that, let alone use rebreathers, even on Phuket.

As for Phuket: Sea Bees and Kontiki often share the same boat in high season, I see no reason why they should do differently during low season, which boat did you go out with?

Who were the guides?

Do I sound suspicious?

Yes, I am; this looks to me like a big invitation: come to the Gulf of Siam, things are so much better than on the other side!

The more I talk to people like you, the less I'm attracted to come and see Samui, Koh Tao and the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom