Free fills at the Fire Dept????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1969ivan1

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I have a possibly dumb question, but here it goes. I was just offered free air fills for my scuba tanks at a local fire dept, but a buddy of mine told me that this was a bad deal as the filtration system used by fire dept compressors are not very good and that the possibilities for contamination are much hirer and of course a bigger problem at depth. Is this true? Does anyone out there have any experience with this?
Thanks

1969ivan1:
Ok I have a possibly dumb question, but here it goes. I was just offered free air fills for my scuba tanks at a local fire dept, but a buddy of mine told me that this was a bad deal as the filtration system used by fire dept compressors are not very good and that the possibilities for contamination are much hirer and of course a bigger problem at depth. Is this true? Does anyone out there have any experience with this?
Thanks

I can't vouch for your local department, but our compressor and filtration system is the same found at many SCUBA shops. All fire dept. air fill stations have to meet OSHA standards for air quality, at least in California. Most departments wont have the yolk fitting to adapt to a SCUBA bottle, but some do. It sounds like yours does, if they offered you free fills. I had to have my own adapter made.

1969ivan1:
Thanks
The air will probably be grade E and will invalidate an oxygen service cleaning on a nitrox tank.

If you are going to dive air only in those tanks anyway or your nitrox is not partial pressure blended, it is no problem.

There are filters you can get to keep partial pressure nitrox tanks clean if you want to go that route.

I've been filling my tanks with a compressor that used to fill Fire Dept bottles for several years with no problems. A group of dive buddies bought a compressor to save time from visiting a dive shop after every dive. Plus the LDS was pissed when er show up on a Sat afternoon with 12 - 20 tanks, looking for fills.

If you are nervous, contact the people that service the compressor. Since the compressor can fill SCBA, the main concern is the filters. My guess is they are more than suffient.

Cheers! - Tom

BTW - There are other threads on this topic. I think the message has been the same

Marginal air on the surface isn't a problem, at depth it is.

divenutny:
Plus the LDS was pissed when er show up on a Sat afternoon with 12 - 20 tanks, looking for fills.

Pretty stupid of the LDS. Pissing off divers that dive that much
is pretty stupid. They are the ones who come in the dive shop
the most.

If the LDS treats them good, then they spend lots of money there.
They also tend to buy stuff about every trip as they need little
small items or to replace items that wear out or to upgrade.

I'd say this dive shop is pissing away several thousand dollars
in sales per diver a year.

(It would be way too cool though to have my own compressor!!!)

Also on the note of filling at the fire station, I think that the SCBA
cylinders are lower PSI also. Maybe 2000psi? (not sure). So you'd
have to make sure their compressor would do higher PSI fills.

Also, some departments, such as "rual" volunteer departents have
military surplus equipment that is more prone to have oil leaks, etc.
So check the air quality.

Ask to see the air quality analysis. If it is done quarterly and the compressor maintainence records are current, free gas is free gas. Note that most fire departments do not pump oxy compatible air. Most do the CGA modified grade E. If one were to go and purchase their own hyper-filter setup to provide the O.C. gas the cost might start to run a bit on the high side.

4500 psi is the norm nowadays. Some backwoods places may have the old 2216 scotts, but most else have the new bottles. The adapters can be had from various places on the internet.
-g mount

mike_s:
Also on the note of filling at the fire station, I think that the SCBA
cylinders are lower PSI also. Maybe 2000psi? (not sure). So you'd
have to make sure their compressor would do higher PSI fills.

I guess a lot of this depends on the fire department's equipment. I know that at my closest dive shop, the first time I asked for a fill he said he could, but said I could get them for free at the local fire department.

I think it would be worth atleast checking into at your local fire department.

Al Mialkovsky:
Marginal air on the surface isn't a problem, at depth it is.

Agree....Why chance it? If you have doubt then you should get the air fills somewhere else. Why take a chance to save a couple bucks.....

Certain tank manufacturers such as PST require that you fill tanks with a specified grade of air (grade E for PST if my memory is still functioning). This would be something to check on. Also the maintenance that is done to the fire dept. compressor, filtration, etc. Of course you don't want to cook the golden goose by making them answer too many questions... just the critical ones for life support!

Decades ago I had my own compressor. Must admit that although it was good quality, I had my concerns at times regarding the quality. Fortunately it was out here on Catalina Island where air quality is pretty good (as long as there are no exhausts near the compressor intake). I've had air from the mainland (and even a few fills here on the island) that have just not tasted "right." Emptied the tank after I aborted a dive due to air with a decidedly exhaust flavor... turned out several golf carts were idling just outside the fill station's intake when my tank was filled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom