What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dscheck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I sold my old BCD on ebay last week. I know for a fact that everything was in good working condition when I shipped it.

Yesterday, the buyer emails me saying that he received the BCD, had it repaired and dove with it, now wants me to pay for the repairs he states the BCD needed. Plus he says the BCD is a L not an XL like I said. He says he is giving me achance to make it right, or else he is goint to leave negative feedback. Feels like blackmail to me.

First of all, I'm 6'2" 260 lbs, I can not fit into a L BCD, I've been diving with this BC since 2003, plus I have the original invoice showing it was an XL.

Second, how do I know what he did, if he did it, etc...

I would of happily offered to repair the BCD myself or refund his money if he sent the BCD back, but he doesn't want to do this. He just wants me to pay for the repairs sight unseen.

SO, I told him, I would of been happy to work something out if he would of contacted me first, or sent the BCD back to me in the condition he received it. Other wise, I will not comply to his demands. Now he said he wa going to leave negative feedback.

So, what would you do?

Thanks

dscheck:
I sold my old BCD on ebay last week. I know for a fact that everything was in good working condition when I shipped it.

Yesterday, the buyer emails me saying that he received the BCD, had it repaired and dove with it, now wants me to pay for the repairs he states the BCD needed. Plus he says the BCD is a L not an XL like I said. He says he is giving me achance to make it right, or else he is goint to leave negative feedback. Feels like blackmail to me.

First of all, I'm 6'2" 260 lbs, I can not fit into a L BCD, I've been diving with this BC since 2003, plus I have the original invoice showing it was an XL.

Second, how do I know what he did, if he did it, etc...

I would of happily offered to repair the BCD myself or refund his money if he sent the BCD back, but he doesn't want to do this. He just wants me to pay for the repairs sight unseen.

SO, I told him, I would of been happy to work something out if he would of contacted me first, or sent the BCD back to me in the condition he received it. Other wise, I will not comply to his demands. Now he said he wa going to leave negative feedback.

So, what would you do?

Thanks

I would have done as you mentioned above. If he had made effort to return it prior to use or questioned the size problem prior to use, I would have done everything I could to make the situation right. However, he went ahead and had it repaired with his money and dove with it. Unfortunately negative feedback sucks on ebay but you get a response to it, just be honest. 1 negative feedback is not going to turn away other buyers. If the BC was sent as described than he has no recourse having used the BC.

Think of it this way, if he had purchased the BC from a store. Had some alterations made, whether repairs or other, than dove with the BC. There is no way the store would take it back. Also, theres no way they would pay for the repairs.

I agree. Notifying you of problems after he had it "repaired" is unacceptable. If he's being totally truthful (doesn't sound like it to me), he screwed up by not notifying you of the problem first.

Its a negative feedback who cares. After the feedback has been left for you, you add a reply feedback that goes right under the buyers feedback and slam the buyer for his feedback. Then you go and leave a follow up feedback for the buyer and slam him some more. All follow up and reply feedback is right in the feedback forum page. Go and have your way with words and let the other e-bay people know this guys intent. As a big time seller and buyer on ebay I can tell you feedback really don't matter all that much to people, if a seller has what you want and no one else does you'll bid and vise versa so don't let it bother you. The buyer is trying to get some money back because chances are the buyer found the same bc at a cheaper price and wants to get like a price guarantee with you the seller on ebay saying that the bd needed repairs and all that other ho ha ..... no dice. Be a prick and say you want a copy of the repair bill and number that you can call and verify the problems that needed to be fixed. If you sold that bc with a true and honest description with out willfully and knowing trying to deceive then shame on the buyer not you for not looking and researching other options and sales and jumping the gun. The buyer made a conscious decision to buy yours. Now if you sold that bc knowing full well that it needed repairs and was not scuba worthy and you just wanted to sell it and get some money without discloser then yes by all means that’s a scummy move and careless for not disclosing that information to a fellow diver that could have potential killed them. Again if that bc was worthy and in good condition that let it go and don’t budge. You made your money, now go get some new scuba toys and forget about that clown. You can’t please all the people all of the time. Congrats on the sale hope you made some good money on it.

Having worked in retail a very long time, sometimes a customer like yours is just a gutsy thief.

If you were honorable in your transaction, you are just as honorable in refusing to be extorted. Hang tough.

In this case you probably can't avoid negative feedback. The guy is out of his mind with his demand. Have you left feedback for him yet? If no, let him know negative feedback will not help his future ebay needs either. If you have already left positive feedback, all you can do is refute his negative feedback (you have one line worth of space for this if you get negative feedback).

You never know who you will have to deal with on Ebay.

--Matt

Unless you sell a lot of stuff on e-bay and value your rating why do you care?

I think he was in the wrong for not calling you and in the wrong for the threat.

Just my opinion.

this guy ain't kosher

tell him to go f himself (politely)

As long as your description of the item was accurate, tough on the buyer. The buyer does (supposedly) have recourse through ebay if the item wasn't as described. But otherwise, too bad. I always describe as accurately as possible, then I add sold AS IS just in case I unintentionally miss something. Covers me.

I recently sold something on ebay that closed auction on a Friday night. Buyer wanted it shipped overnight. I emailed him all weekend advising him the extra shipping charge and that I would ship it when I received it. He finally responded Monday. I shipped Tuesday. Tuesday night he left negative feedback stating he bought the item on Friday and I didn't ship until Tuesday. He also sent me emails demanding his money back. I just replied to his feedback, left him negative feedback, and nicely told him to shove it, he wasn't getting any money back. I didn't do anything wrong and I have all the e-mails to prove it.

Unless you already have a bunch of negative feedback, so what. The only people on ebay with 100% positive feedback are the ones that don't have that many transactions. Do what everyone here says and move on.

And welcome to the negative feedback club! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom