Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the SCUBA/freedive hunting regulations or point me to a site with them? Non-dynamite, please :D

6 weeks to go...

Halthron:
Can anyone tell me about the SCUBA/freedive hunting regulations or point me to a site with them? Non-dynamite, please :D

6 weeks to go...

hunting with spear gun is very much frowned upon in anilao. though you may try some areas away sanctuaries like bahura ligpo, though i have to say it is very unsafe to do this as there are divers there (110 ft ave.) though it's either fishing boats are on top or divers.

but i am sure at Lobo, batangas you may go hunting. i was told that at around 90ft. there are groupers as huge as SUVs , they tried before to get one and they had to tie the line on a rocka and it took 3 divers to resist the fleeing grouper.

this is at the site called "parola" , parola is the term for lighthouse.

after that i think they said they had a moratorium on fishing to protect the groupers. but i think it's due to the fact that they almost died !

paolov:
hunting with spear gun is very much frowned upon in anilao. though you may try some areas away sanctuaries like bahura ligpo, though i have to say it is very unsafe to do this as there are divers there (110 ft ave.) though it's either fishing boats are on top or divers.

but i am sure at Lobo, batangas you may go hunting. i was told that at around 90ft. there are groupers as huge as SUVs , they tried before to get one and they had to tie the line on a rocka and it took 3 divers to resist the fleeing grouper.

this is at the site called "parola" , parola is the term for lighthouse.

after that i think they said they had a moratorium on fishing to protect the groupers. but i think it's due to the fact that they almost died !

was considering to go hunting before but all my friends talked me out of it. always wanted to go hunting but nothing like big game. just small game that i can call dinner and the like.

Spoon:
was considering to go hunting before but all my friends talked me out of it. always wanted to go hunting but nothing like big game. just small game that i can call dinner and the like.

if that is the case, try Laiya, Batangas. there's balai II and coco grove. just bring your own tanks in cocogrove.

or you may try locloc area.

between dive n trek and anilao pier

Thanks for the info. I haven't done any hunting yet as Greece doesn't allow spearfishing with SCUBA. They also don't allow night dives or diving in about 1/3 of the waters they control due to proximity to ancient artifacts and wrecks. I'm not sure what type of hunting I'd want to do, dinner hunting seems most likely; I'm not sure I'd want to spear an SUV sized grouper without a pair of waterskis! Safety first, of course. :wink:

paolov:
if that is the case, try Laiya, Batangas. there's balai II and coco grove. just bring your own tanks in cocogrove.

or you may try locloc area.

between dive n trek and anilao pier

i have only been going with my dm and he is a staunch supporter of anti-hunting. maybe in the future whwn i rack up them dives.

Spoon:
i have only been going with my dm and he is a staunch supporter of anti-hunting. maybe in the future whwn i rack up them dives.

really, so Dm would rather buy fish from the market caught by muro ami and nets that destroy corals and fishermen that cut buoys at beatrice so as not to entangle their nets with the mooring buoys.

paolov:
really, so Dm would rather buy fish from the market caught by muro ami and nets that destroy corals and fishermen that cut buoys at beatrice so as not to entangle their nets with the mooring buoys.

im afraid so. harsh reality sucks!

paolov:

heard lots of stories about spearfishing around anilao from a guy named jerry reyes back at aquaventure when i was doing my check out...scary hehehe

best part was whenever his companion said "isa na lang" (last one)...he never saw them again

but seriously i wonder if there are any sites where you can maybe catch lobster or assorted shellfish for personal consumption

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom