Diving Oahu and the Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi tracydr,

I have dove Oahu, but think so little of the scuba that I'll just go right on to that true gem, the Big Island.

You will not find much nice coral off any of the Hawaiian Islands ala the Caribbean. Mostly only small patches of relatively colorless stuff. Also, sparse sponge or vegetation for the most part. Look for relatively cool water temps, like 77 plus/minus 2 degrees, and modest viz, like 40-80'. Marine life is another matter altogether. Varieties of butteryflyfish, triggerfish, surgeon/doctorfish, etc. far out number those found in the Caribbean. Also, lots of turtles.

If this is your first dive trip to Hawaii you might want to read "Hawaii Below" by Rod Canham ISBN 0-922769-21-4. It is a pretty good book covering all the islands and most of their dive sites, another good book is "Shore Fishes of Hawaii" by John E. Randall ISBN 0-939560-22-4. These are probably both in out of print status, so be prepared to order that way. You of course can't do it this time around, but maybe next.

The Big Island has a wide variety of topography & excellent diving of the Kona coast. It is my first choice for diving. Neat manta ray night dive -- the one at the now closed Kona Surf used to be almost guaranteed, but longer so. Action now is a bit north to Eel Garden Cove. Some excellent shops, including Dive Makai, Sandwich Isle Divers, Aloha Divers & Jack's Diving Locker, whihc tend to draw experienced divers. The less advanced might want to check out Eco-Adventures. Don't miss Volcanoes National Park, rain forest outside of Hilo, or the coffee plantations. Roy's on Big Island, too. Have drinks at the Mauna Lani, near the Orchid (nee Ritz-Carlton). Kevin Costner stayed in one of the 4,000 sq.' villas with a Mercedes sedan and valet while filming "Waterworld" -- you'll know why it ran so much over budget.

For diving in general & shore diving in particular, check out web sites of Big Island Divers, Kona Coast Divers (but don't dive with this op) and Dick The Diver. Also do Phosphorescent Bay at night. Sharon's Place, Long Lava Tube, Hammerhead Point & Golden Arches also good. Can do shark cage dive with Hawaiian Divers. My favorite shore dive & an easy one is Place of Refuge you will nice coral here. If diving with EcoAdventures, be sure to do the "Toilet Bowl" -- really fun. Eat at Cafe Pesto, Donatoni's and La Bourgoyne. You won't be sorry.

Have a blast.

DocVikingo

Thank's everyone, maybe we'll try Jack's since it was mentioned a few times. I can't wait! Will for sure do the night manta ray dive. I'll stick my hood in my bag, think my 3mm full suit (farmer john and top) will be warm enough?
We're intermediate divers so do you think Jack's will be a good choice? I found the shop we went with in Cozumel too beginner oriented and their dives were shallow and not very interesting.

If you call them, and tell them what you are looking for they should be able to tell you straight. They allow for computers, you dive your time. The DM is there as a DM or guide, not your mother. They are extremely friendly and knowledgeable of the dive sites, their briefs were very good and their boats are rigged with O2 kits etc..

They do have a long range 3 tank dive, but they need 4 people minimum wanting to make the trip. They also will do a blue water dive, somewhere between Hawaii and Maui I think. Take a look at their advanced two tank dive trip -
http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/charters/twotankadvanced.htm

We did the Manta dive with them last year, and we were the ONLY boat out there due to the surge and surf I guess. We dove it anyway and had a great time, even though only one Manta showed.

Give us a report when you get back...!

I just wanted to give a plug for Torpedo Tours on the Big Island. I believe they also have a web site, you can probably find them eaily with a search. This is a husband and wife team who do a lot of scooter diving. They are also great guides and really know the Big Island dive sites.

Good luck.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom