I blew it - but it ended well... thankfully (longish)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The Good News

You gotta be able to reach your valve(s).

For the second time in my diving (330-something dives) I entered the water, purged the BC, started my descent, took a breath and got nothing. Pretty scary.

I kicked up, was bobbing and caught about 4 or 5 breaths between swells, orally inflated the BC, reached back, turned on my gas, and continued the dive

In-Water Events

Diving this weekend on a dive boat in SoCal. Last dive of the day, and my frozen wet-diving buddy is going to sit it out. Over half of the boat was sitting it out. I chose to insta-buddy with some people I met on the boat.

I got geared up, hit the water, and drifted back to the stern line where the two were waiting for me. We gave the signal, and they started down the line. I was doing a free descent near the line and hadn't planned to pull down hand over hand.

I purged the BC, and started to sink. I hit the DS inflate valve on my chest - nothng. I look down, hose is connected. Hmmmm.... I take a breath - nothing. HMMMMMM.... I try again - zip. I'm sinking pretty fast (HP130, 10# lead, 3# light, 6# BP - you do the math) and I'm at about 15 - 20 feet or so (looked at gauge, I remember it saying 14 after first non-breath.) I realize I gotta get to the line (its about a kick away) and pull myself back up, or kick straight up. It was shorter to go straight up (line was angled pretty steep) so I kicked like a mofo.

I get to the surface, get a breath, and put a few puffs into the BC. I compose myself. Buddy pulls himself up the line and asks if I'm OK. I tell him my gas is off. He offers to come over and turn it on. I tell him I got it - I reach back, turn it on. He asks if I'm OK again. I'm all good. We do the dive.

What I think Happened

For this trip, I brought an HP100 tank for my buddy. All my tanks are DIN. On the boat, Buddy pulls out a Yoke reg and realizes its a no go. Best Options:

a) Give buddy my HP130 (just screw in the Yoke adapter and we're set.) Problem is buddy is small, diving wet and the HP130 waterheater is pretty scary for this little, wet person to dive.

b) Switch regs. I dive buddy's Yoke reg and gauges, buddy dives my DIN DIR rig. Not a great option, as I'm using wristmount, buddy uses brick and isn't real comfy with my long hose rig.

c) Switch first stages. So basically I pulled all of the hoses from our first stages, and re-build my rig on the Yoke (so I could dive the 130) and rebuilt buddy's rig on my DIN (so they could dive the HP100) This was the option we settled for.

Fast forward to last dive of the day

Frozen buddy is sitting this one out. I'm all "cool - I get my rig back." So I yank all hoses and re-assemble my DIN DIR rig, and once again dive my 130.

One of two thing probably happened:

a) After testing the rig right before the dive, I never turned the gas back on. so I probably got a strong puff into the BC at the gate, and thought everything was normal.

b) The DM, relaxing because it was a light load at the end of a very busy day, turned it off. But I can't remember if the DM was at the gate. I remember looking back after hitting the water to make my OK, and not seeing him at the gate, but at the transom with the fill guy. I remember calling out my number as I was walking to the gate, and him saying "I got ya"... but I can't remember if he was behind me, or already at the transom.

How I could have avoided this

So many things I could have done differently, in hindsite. I should have checked my gauge after filling the BC. I should have taken a draw off my reg before stepping over the side. I should have insisted the DM be at the gate when I went in, I should have gone to the gate with my insta-buddy so we could have checked each other. Once in the water, I should have taken a drag before descending, etc, etc, etc.

I blew it on this one. I'm not throwing this at the DM. I believe I am responsible for my own gas supply - and if I descended with it off, its my fault.

In rougher seas, this would have been pretty scary, and could have ended a lot differently. I'm pretty strong, so swimming up the rig from 15' or 20' wasn't a real issue, but treding water with it was no picnic. If swells were 5 - 8 feet instead of the 2 - 4 wind swells, I may have gasped a lot more water than air.

And my insta-buddy, albeit late, was there. If I was unable to reach my valve, he would have gotten it for me. In fact, I waved him off to do it myself. If I hadn't blown all the air out of my lungs I probably would have done this underwater. Its a lot easier in trim to do this than it is vertical on the surface. But I really didn't try to reach it underwater - I'm in a new DS (5th dive in it) and it fits snugger, and I wasn't confident I could do it - so I opted to bolt and not waste time under water. I should have done a valve drill when I got this suit to have the confidence I can do it as easily as I could with my last suit... another blow it on my part.

Oh well. I blew it. But it ended well. Its like when you get a ticket - I mean, I hate it when I get a citation - but it sure drive slower and safer for awhile. This has surely shaken me to the extent I'll be double and triple checking my gas and stuff before I drop.

---
Ken

Good lessons, Ken, and glad you're all good. Thanks!

Not being DIR, I was just wondering... If you had your regular dependable DIR buddy with you, would you have just shared air for a min until you got your air on instead of kicking to the surface and manually inflating?

Rick Inman:
Good lessons, Ken, and glad you're all good. Thanks!

Not being DIR, I was just wondering... If you had your regular dependable DIR buddy with you, would you have just shared air for a min until you got your air on instead of kicking to the surface and manually inflating?

I wasn't diving with Arnaud, who I consider my regular DIR buddy - I was with someone else (non-DIR). the DIR-ness doesn't really matter in this situation. I've dived with this person several times, however, and I know they would have been closer (insta-buddy was out of site down the stern line.)

I can't say if I would have signaled OOA, grabed a breath and just turned it on UW or would have bolted again. If I was deeper, I would surely have reached for their gas. But I know I wasn't too deep. Its hard to say.

It was surprised how hard it was to get to the surface. I mean, it wasn't hard-hard... I got there before I really REALLY needed air - but last time this happened (it WAS the DM on another boat that turned me off) I was diving an ill-fitting DS, and my HP100 - so I was a bit more floaty and had less to swim up. It was more than a kick or two to get there this time - it was work.

---
Ken

Rick Inman:
It should of been caught durning the head to toe.

Glad to hear that you're still alive and that others can learn from your experience.

This is currently on my paranoid list. I generally have a routine that gets me into the water safely, but if one thing changes (switching regs), I basically have to start from scratch to make sure that I covered all the bases and didn't skip over something. I knew a guy that drove 200 miles only to realize that he forgot his wing because it wasn't drying in the usual spot in the garage.

I always breathe off my regs while putting my fins on ... just that little extra safety check ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

JeffG:
It should of been caught durning the head to toe.
*Sigh*

Yes, Jeff if should have. Even if your were PADI Discover Scuba. Your point being that DIR teams never error so if it were a DIR team if wouldn't have happened in the first place. And yet Ken did error by breaking rule #1, or so it would seem since there was no head to toe by his buddy.

Yawn...

Rick Inman:
*Sigh*

Yes, Jeff if should have. Even if your were PADI Discover Scuba. Your point being that DIR teams never error so if it were a DIR team if wouldn't have happened in the first place. And yet Ken did error by breaking rule #1, or so it would seem since there was no head to toe by his buddy.

Yawn...
While your sighing and yawning....I wasn't making any point about DIR. You were the one that brought it up. (Hey...even this thread is in the DIR forum)

So if you have a problem with DIR, Go back to PADI.

It should of been caught with the PADI buddy check.

I always do a buddy check, which would have caught that. I don't have nearly as many dives as you do but I plan to make this a habbit every time I get in the water. I also take a few breaths from the reg before I descend.

Glad you are around to tell us what happened, as you said things could have been worse.

kazinvan:
I always do a buddy check, which would have caught that. I don't have nearly as many dives as you do but I plan to make this a habbit every time I get in the water. I also take a few breaths from the reg before I descend.
The problem is usually the diver is in a "rush" and either doesn't do his routine, or just gives breezes through the routine.

This is the area that most mistakes are made...air off, Drysuit inflater not attached, weight belt off. You name it.

A Pause to gather your thoughts and do a sanity check. I believe Rick is thinking I am being critical of Ken, which is not the case. I haven't done the turned off air thing, but I have done the others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom