biggest dogfish youve seen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298

Reaction score
i thought these things are only about 3 to 4 feet i saw some on the black point that where 6+ and thats taking into account the 25% bigger rule

Diesel298:
i thought these things are only about 3 to 4 feet i saw some on the black point that where 6+ and thats taking into account the 25% bigger rule

Wow - I have never seen one larger than about 3'. You sure you were looking at a Dogfish and not a Blue Shark or such?

--Matt

Sorry they don't grow to 6 feet, you were looking at something else.

Arduous:
Sorry they don't grow to 6 feet, you were looking at something else.

So unless the estimate is off then it was not a dogfish. More likely a blue shark or sandbar shark which are known from the area.

I have encountered a 6'+ sandbar shark off southern Cape Cod and it was much thicker than a dogfish.

DSDO

Alan

Maximum recorded length of spiny dogfish is about 4.5 ft, and normally they are much smaller. The smooth dogfish gets to a maximum of 5 ft, and again most are much smaller.

Could have been a lot of things, but just going by the size, where you saw it, and the fact that you thought it was a dogfish my guess is you probably saw a sand shark (Carcharias taurus), not to be confused with the similarly named sandbar shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus) also found around here (and already mentioned). Some fisherman even call the sand shark the "dogfish shark", but it is not really a dogfish.

ok time for a few pics.
these are the sharks in question taken by another diver with a digi cam
today3.jpg

today2.jpg

and just cuz i like this one even tho theres no fish in it
today1.jpg

Cool pics!....looks like a sand shark to me....but then I always thought sandshark and dogfish were the same. Glad to get the education here that they are not the same. ( Thanks Chris!)
At any rate...they don't look too threatening..very cool to see though!
John C.

yeah they wernt threatnig at all....
and i also thought sandsharks and dogfish where the same.
huh. learn somethin new everyday

Me and my big mouth! So, that actually IS a spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) after all! Great pictures by the way!

I was just going by your description of the size because like everyone else said it shouldn't be possible for a dogfish to be 6 ft long. They should max out at about 4 ft. However, the pictures are definitely a spiny dogfish. You can even see the spines on the front of the dorsal fins if you look closely.

I did a quick google search and found a link with some good pictures if you want to compare them. The top picture on the page isn't great, but look at the 4th 5th and 6th pictures down, its a dead ringer for your friend:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/SpinyDogfish/SpinyDogfish.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom