Mighty Oriskany left Pensacola yesterday!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
With any luck, she will be back after hurricane season and go down 22 miles SSE of Pensacola Pass where she'll be the biggest, intentionally sunk artifical reef in existence. Here's a link with pictures:

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/news/html/010E08ED-A0F4-4F26-BA2B-EB0B1D3D5EAE.shtml

I am disappointed, but hopefully the EPA will get off their bueracratic butts, the Navy will keep their word, and she'll be back and on the bottom here in Pensacola before next summer.

Dang it, another year to wait...!! I know that we don't want to intentionally sink anything that will hurt the environment, but dang. :shakehead

Thanks for letting us know.

Jeebus...

She should have been on the bottom over a year ago as it is...

The article says it's gonna cost $1.7 million (round trip) of "taxpayer money" for this little trip it's making. I heard it was actually more than that though....

I don't think this big ole ship is being sunk by Escambia county for the divers though. They're sinking it for the fishing charters, which represent a ten-fold increase in numbers and money than diving does in this part of Florida. Besides, dive boats will have to be out there at 7am or before to throw up dive flags for their place on the ship before it's "covered" by fishing boats on any given saturday summer morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom