mares, dacor... etc on ebay...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyhigh123

Reaction score
so i'm a newb, just wondering, been seeing a lot of brands like genesis, mares, dacor items on ebay like BC's regs etc... are there any brands for me to avoid that are on ebay?

flyhigh123:
so i'm a newb, just wondering, been seeing a lot of brands like genesis, mares, dacor items on ebay like BC's regs etc... are there any brands for me to avoid that are on ebay?
Do a search here for any of those names for more info, the only thing I've read recently is that there seems to be some sort of support issue with Dacor and older gear, it might even have been that they're discontinuing the Dacor line entirely soon.

Personally I like the look of some of the Mares gear, although I don't own any myself.

Most(all) bigger manufacturers won't warranty items sold on eBay. Another option for better prices is Scubatoys.com or Leisurepro.com - although they have their own warranty so read the fine print. IMHO this only applies to things like regs and BC's and actually is a pretty minor concern to me, I just have service done where it's convenient and don't really worry about the minor costs involved.

There is a big issue for many about Dacor no longer taking care of their "life time warranty".

You probably aren't going to find many Mares fans here but I do like my Mares semi dry suit.

also espically stay away from any older dacor.
mares bought dacor and then decided to no longer produce parts so ..
all the people with that stuff are having trouble getting there regs services. and they end up on e-bay

flyhigh123 - This topic has been beaten to death over the years, just do a search. If some of the same folks see your thread, it might get a bit rough.

Ebay could be great if you know what you are buying. You have to do the research on brands and model numbers. Dacor has made some find gear, but most LDS can not get parts for regulators over 10 years. Since then, I will not buy Dacor or Mares. Unless you do the research, you might but a headache or worse, something that does not work. Check Rodales or other dive magazines. Rodales has some old articles online. A google search helped me avoid buying a Mares Syncro Pro Tech, BC. The BC was built well, just performed poorly, so Mares dropped the price to get rid of the inventory. I bought a Sherwood Regulator at a great price on ebay, then got hosed. All the hoses needed replacing, roughly $130 to service unit including new hoses. After the service, it was not a great deal. However, Reg has worked well since.
Good Luck! Search thru the equipment threads but don't take all the comments as the gospel. Most equipment comments are extremely subjective. I just bought a Apeks TX50. Works well, but not a great as described. Happy Reading!
Cheers - Tom

divenutny:
Ebay could be great if you know what you are buying. You have to do the research on brands and model numbers. Dacor has made some find gear, but most LDS can not get parts for regulators over 10 years. Since then, I will not buy Dacor or Mares. Unless you do the research, you might but a headache or worse, something that does not work. Check Rodales or other dive magazines. Rodales has some old articles online. A google search helped me avoid buying a Mares Syncro Pro Tech, BC. The BC was built well, just performed poorly, so Mares dropped the price to get rid of the inventory. I bought a Sherwood Regulator at a great price on ebay, then got hosed. All the hoses needed replacing, roughly $130 to service unit including new hoses. After the service, it was not a great deal. However, Reg has worked well since.
Good Luck! Search thru the equipment threads but don't take all the comments as the gospel. Most equipment comments are extremely subjective. I just bought a Apeks TX50. Works well, but not a great as described. Happy Reading!
Cheers - Tom

Again, probably beaten to death, but I would be really careful buying life support equipment off of EBay. In fact, I wouldnt do it. Cameras, lights, etc, I might buy. Regs, BC's, etc. I would not.

flyhigh123:

All of them.

That's strictly my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom