What's the best way to pack a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Getting ready to pack for a long trip where my gear is going to be packed for a long time...

what's the best way to pack a wetsuit?

fold it in half?
roll it?
leave as flat as possible?
top or bottom of the gear bag?

BTW.... Henderson 3mm full and a shortie is what I'm talking about.

-mike

I worry more about my other gear, so the wetsuits end up in whatever shape protects my regs and camera housing the best. Generally rolled around it.

About the worst thing that's going to happen if you fold it with a sharp crease is that you might form a permanent crease, where the suit is compressed and has a bit less insulation. It doesn't really get very far up on my list of worries, particularly with 3mm suits.

on top of the entire gear so that it won't get compressed. and protected from top loaded loads on the box/crate.

mike_s:
Getting ready to pack for a long trip where my gear is going to be packed for a long time...

what's the best way to pack a wetsuit?

fold it in half?
roll it?
leave as flat as possible?
top or bottom of the gear bag?

BTW.... Henderson 3mm full and a shortie is what I'm talking about.

-mike

Charlie99:
I worry more about my other gear, so the wetsuits end up in whatever shape protects my regs and camera housing the best. Generally rolled around it.

About the worst thing that's going to happen if you fold it with a sharp crease is that you might form a permanent crease, where the suit is compressed and has a bit less insulation. It doesn't really get very far up on my list of worries, particularly with 3mm suits.

Ditto this.

My wetsuit also serves as packing foam for my other gear. It's 10 years old and seems to have survived repeated packings ok...

Sharp angled folds will create creases when enough pressure is applied. Loose folds will create a sharp angle under pressure. Avoid packing next to hard objects that will exert pressure upon wetsuit leaving a contoured mark. Protect with other clothes around it, unless your wetsuit is your packaging protection material for other objects.

I find rolling it offers the best protection from permanent creases. Be specially aware of sleaves positioning. If not properly placed they will fold onto themselves causing a crease when pressure is applied.

Top of gear bag will minimize weight placed upon it while hand carrying bag. Once checked in as luggage it's all going to get squashed in transit.

Unroll it as soon as possible to reduce any creases from settling in too much.

Learn to live with some creases. We all get them as we age. LOL

Scuba:
Learn to live with some creases. We all get them as we age. LOL

LOL! As my gear gets older together with me, I take less care of them. Rolling them up seems to me to be the best solution and so far the wet suit looks good.

...with Angelina Jolie!

D.S.D.

IF you are packing to dive it should be under your BCD and regulator so you can set them up before you have to put on your wetsuit. Inless you bring two bags.

Back
Top Bottom