Picture/photo of V-Notched Female Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LobstaMan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Believe it or not, I've never seen one(my good luck!). Curious to see what one looks like and which flipper is supposed to be v-notched. Thanks.

LobstaMan

Here's my attempt at an attached file.

Just get a whole bunch of them and ask a friendly EP officer to help sort them out! :)

Here’s one:
http://www.fishresearch.org/Articles/2002/11/IMG_6113.jpg

I’ve been seeing a lot of them lately (saw 5 on two of my last dives) I think it’s a good sign (means lobstermen are doing what they are supposed to).

On a related note, does anybody know if the V-notch has a minimum size? Flipper grows back you know. I once got a great just under 5” lobster only to find on shore that it had a barely visible v-notch so I immediately threw it back. Now I’m thinking maybe I should have renotched her.

Hey, it worked, but if anybody has any better pictures/diagrams/photos, feel free. First, I tried to attach a picture I located on Google, but apparently it was too large for SB. The diagram does answer my question of which flipper(if that's the correct ananotomical term).

LobstaMan(still learning about lobsters....)

If it has a visible notch at all, throw it back. You did the right thing Chebby.

I work at NMFS and one of my dive buddies from at the lab works on the Rhode Island lobster restoration project. Part of what he does is work with the fisherman on the v-notching in RI waters (NMFS and the State of RI work together on this project). Since the fisherman are paid for every lobster they notch, NMFS collects the individual notch tabs from the fisherman as receipts. Believe it or not they actually store all of the notches in a freezer here at the lab for record purposes. In case anyone ever audits the program the notch archives prove how many lobsters were actually v-notched.

How can they tell which endopodite was notched? In other words, if a fisherman is getting paid for every notch taken from the tail flipper immediately to the right of center, what's to stop him from clipping the left too and collecting double?

Forgive me for asking, but why do they notch them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom