Freshwater dives in Connecticut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never dove Beseck...but I wouldn't. It is a VERY small "lake" with lots of boat/jetski traffic. I've been out on the lake before, and wasn't terribly impressed with water quality. A Lot of weeds too.

Candlewood is decent, but very silty and a LOT of boat traffic. Dykes point is an OK entry point. Last time I dove there I swore I would never do it again.

There is a site in Norfolk called Westhill Pond. I've never dove there before, but I've heard good things about it, good vis, lots of fish, not a lot of boat traffic. You can check it out here:
http://dep.state.ct.us/cgnhs/lakes/westhill/Lake.htm
The only negative thing, is that the greatest depth is in the middle of the lake, and to get there you would need some type of boat to dive from. They allow boats with engines up to 7HP on the lake, but you could easily get there from a non powered boat, and I think they rent them there.

Other than that, there isn't a whole lot other than the Portland Quarry which is underway (see other posts in this section). That will be a DREAM come true when that is up and running!

Oh, and by the way, I work in Bristol and live in Wolcott, so if you want to check Westhill out sometime, let me know!

I've dove West Hill Pond. Decent 15-20 ffw vis. This was the boatlaunch. Sucks, new law in CT no diving from boat launches anymore. Have to find other ways in.

I also dove Bashan Lake up in the Middletown area. Same idea, decent vis.

When you guys gonna check out my back yard? Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Wolcott? Private, not motor boats, BIG TURTLES... 4th cleanest body of water in the state... PM me for a dive... the water is super clear right now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom