Is Costco Body Glove snorkel package good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I see Costco selling a Body Glove package with mask, dry snorkel, fins, and a bag, for Cad$55 (about US$45).

Anybody seen this, and could comment on whether this is a good set?

We are going to Hawaii later in summer and would like to do some snorkeling. I'd like to get my wife to practice before going. So it's casual type of snorkeling.

Thanks.

Not bad at all for snorkeling.
That is how I got into scuba, my wife and I went to Kauai for our honeymoon with new snorkel gear, BAM next thing I know I have several thousands of dollars of scuba gear. Be careful.

Should be fine! Try to find a book on snorkeling so you have a better idea of how to clear the snorkel and things like that.

dlndavid:
Not bad at all for snorkeling.
That is how I got into scuba, my wife and I went to Kauai for our honeymoon with new snorkel gear, BAM next thing I know I have several thousands of dollars of scuba gear. Be careful.
Ain't it funny how that works? :wink:

Torontonian:
I see Costco selling a Body Glove package with mask, dry snorkel, fins, and a bag, for Cad$55 (about US$45).

We are going to Hawaii later in summer and would like to do some snorkeling. I'd like to get my wife to practice before going. So it's casual type of snorkeling.

Thanks.

As long as the mask and fins fits ok you should be fine. We've bought a couple of sets at Costco on Maui before and they generally work pretty good.

Torontonian:

Thanks.

For that money it's a very affordable entry and there's a good chance the mask and snorkel can stay with you for a good while. If you get serious you'll want booties and open hell (strap-on) fins but that's the next step.

Great idea to practice before going. I assume you can get into some reasonable water temperatures between now and then where you are. If not spring for some suits, 3mm will take the chill off at home and save you from the sun at home and away. Once you get gliding around you may find how neat it is in your own back yard. If it ends up being a gateway to scuba so be it bit there's a lot of fun and great exercise to be had within a breath of the surface.

Don't forget to log your skin-dives it's a great way to keep track of where you went and what you saw. Keep an eye out for golf balls!

Have a great summer!

Pete

They are a pretty good deal to get you started. My advice is to get the package with the open heeled fins NOT the full foot fins. The open heel fins are much stronger. You might want to buy a set of those surf shoes as well for the open heel fins.

It's up to you - make sure the mask and fins actually fit sometime before you leave on vacation.

I started out with buying the mask and dry snorkel set from Costco a couple of years ago for snorkeling. My opinion is that it was just adequate - the 'dry' snorkel, due to the trapdoor mechanism on the top, is too 'heavy' for actual diving, though it works like a charm for snorkeling. Also the mask's under-nose purge came in quite handy indeed as I hadn't really learned to clear my mask, and this one didn't quite fit my face (too big). In addition, having four windows is a neat idea, except for the additional internal mask volume it gives you.

I haven't seen this year's Costco offering, but if it's similar, then my experience might actually have some validity. Of course it could easily be a completely different set this year (often is). The year I bought my mask/snorkel, there were no adult fins being offered.

My boyfriend, ScubaJedi, works at Costco here in Canada and he's a true fan of Costco's returns policy - he tells me that even if you've tried the items and they don't work for you, you can return them for a full refund.

FWIW I still dive my Body Glove Costco 2mm wetsuit that I got for $44.

Torontonian:

Thanks.

Yes, good deal. BG is a well known brand and very big here in So Cal. This is snorkle equipment and not scuba equipment.

One trouble however with the boxed set, any boxed set. You really need to try on the mask and fins. "Fit" is the number one criteria. Put the mask on your face _with no strap_ make a suction and shake your head. If the mask sticks it is a decent fit. fins should fit without slop or tightness. If the boxed set fits you you are lucky. It's likeky that you may need to try one several masks and severa fins. But if what fits you best happens to be in the box go for it.

The other aproach is to concider the boxed set "throw away" gear. Use it long enough to learn what you like and don't like. Out of two sets of boxed gear maybe you have to replace something? Still it's a god deal even if one of you do not likethe mask or decides to get a deferent style fin

I am actually a diver, but only dove in warm waters where I could rent full gear, on vacation. So I don't have gear for my wife to try.

I like to get my wife practicing snorkeling. There are cheaper ones in other stores, but this one at Costco seems good. Don't usually find dry snorkel at that price. But on the other hand it is still not so cheap as throw-away trial type. Because it is in a plastic encasing, it's not something she can try before buying.

Thanks for all the advise. I think I'll actually buy this set, to have my wife practice. Costco also sells 2mm shorties at less than Cad$50 -- now that's a good price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom