Mid-West hick's question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
How high and rough waves cancels your diving in ocean?
Yes, it is a fresh water mid-west diver's question......So what:wink:
Thanks in advance,

hoosier:
How high and rough waves cancels your diving in ocean?QUOTE]
I don't know that I understand the question, but I'll take a shot. I assume you are asking what size waves would be necessary to cancel a diving trip. If that is the case, the answer is: that depends.

Some smaller boats cannot get out of an inlet in rough seas that some larger boats can handle. Also, it's not just the size, but the period of the waves. Large swells or rollers will not be much of a problem.

I would imagine that it's locality dependent as well. From a fishing perspective, I know that captains and boats out of NC going off-shore from oregon inlet or hatteras will go out in stuff that captains in Florida might not.

I've been banged against a ladder several times in 3-6' seas.

Yes, that's I what I am looking for. I experienced several times that the 2nd dive has been cancled because of the rough wave. So, I am wondering if there is any standard to judge it........ So, actually, it isn't matter of dive, but boat....

It's a whole lot easier to get off the boat than it is to get back on.

A boat captain will call a dive trip if he feels that the condition of the sea is such that it could cause accident or injury to a diver trying to regain the boat.

It's purely a judgement call of the captain.

If the captain feels that the sea is diveable then it is up to you, the diver, to make the final decision whether or not to make the dive.

In the end, it is your responsibility.

Safe dives . . .
. . . safer ascents (and hopefully no "ladder rides")

the K

The skipper may or may not cancel a trip with the divers safety in mind, as boarding a ladder in rough seas can be dangerous. Hell, finding the divers in rough seas can challenging. It amazes me to see other divers on a boat without safety sausages. Guess they don't think it can happen to them. :11:

Wind direction is just as important as speed or sea height. it can render launching/recovery or getting out of the haven impossible. The opposite is also true, very high seas/wind are ok if from certain directions.

We've had to cancel days with force 5-6 winds but have dived with force 8 from a different direction.

Sea height en route is "normally" 5-6ft so thats diveable. Again wind-against tide short type chop is far worse than rolling swell.

Our boats dont have ladders to become a problem :)

The Kraken:
A boat captain will call a dive trip if he feels that the condition of the sea is such that it could cause accident or injury to a diver trying to regain the boat.

It's purely a judgement call of the captain.

If the captain feels that the sea is diveable then it is up to you, the diver, to make the final decision whether or not to make the dive.

In the end, it is your responsibility.
That's a real important point. You need to have your own criteria. Mine?

Seas 2 to 4, puke on the floor
Seas 3 to 5, thumb the dive

:D But like String said, wind is highly relevant. If heading into a stiff wind the chop will just knock the snot out of you for the entire three hours it takes to get out there (on a sixpack). By the time the anchor is secured, you feel like you've been beaten with a 2x4 and getting into your drysuit can be an exercise in pain. (To say nothing of installing your catheter...:) )

So you need to take responsibility for your own decisions...

I know that rules are different for different places around the world. But when I was in Cozumel all of the small boats were not allowed out of the harbor while the waves and wind was really coming in hard. So yeah, it's not always the call of the captain. This was during the Christmas/New Years week this past winter and the dive ops were all booked up. So I'm sure some of the captains wanted to hit the seas but were not able. I'm sorry but I forgot how big the waves were.

You may also consider the site. Is it worth going out if there is only a few feet of vis. from stired up silt....

I dove in 10 ft seas last year in south Florida. It was no problem because the spacing between waves was far enough apart. Sometimes the smaller rollers are much tougher due to shorter interval.

hoosier:
How high and rough waves cancels your diving in ocean?
Yes, it is a fresh water mid-west diver's question......So what:wink:
Thanks in advance,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom