Overhydration. Huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read it takes two gallons of water in one day to overhydrate but I wonder if anything over just one gallon would adversely affect a diver? Too much of a good thing?

"Overhydration
Definition
Overhydration, also called water excess or water intoxication, is a condition in which the body contains too much water.
Description
Overhydration occurs when the body takes in more water than it excretes and its normal sodium level is diluted. This can result in digestive problems, behavioral changes, brain damage, seizures, or coma. Overhydration can cause acidosis (a condition in which blood and body tissues have an abnormally high acid content), anemia, cyanosis (a condition that occurs when oxygen levels in the blood drop sharply), hemorrhage, and shock. The brain is the organ most vulnerable to the effects of overhydration. If excess fluid levels accumulate gradually, the brain may be able to adapt to them and the patient will have only a few symptoms. If the condition develops rapidly, confusion, seizures, and people with certain mental disorders or alcoholism.

Resources:
BOOKS
Gillenwater, Jay Y., et al, eds. Adult and Pediatric Urology. St. Louis: Mosby, 1997.
Tierney, Lawrence M. Jr., et al, eds. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment. Stamford, CT: Appleton & Lange, 1998.

The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you. "

Is that two gallons if you didn't lose moisture through sweating and urination?

We must avoid going to extreme. We must keep to a moderate course.

Pilot-

As a nephrologist, I feel qualified to discuss fluids & electrolytes. :wink: Assuming you have normal kidney function & are not on medications that affect your kidney's ability to dilute urine, your body will keep up with your water intake just fine if you're drinking 1-2 gallons of water/day. In fact, most people should have no problems drinking 3-5 gallons/day (12-18 liters or so). That's the short answer.

If you want to know the reason, the kidneys are very effective at maintaining the solute composition of your body. Consuming a typical Western diet may add approximately 900 mOsm/day to the body, which the kidney must excrete daily. The most dilute urine one can usually make (with normal kidneys & no interfering meds) is 50 mOsm/liter. Therefore, if necessary, the kidney could make 900/50 = 18 liters of urine to excrete this solute load. If you drink in excess of 18 liters, in this example, the kidney is already making it's most dilute urine possibile, and the "extra" water will accumulate in the body. This can cause problems if it accumulates too rapidly.

On the flip side, let's say you're out on a dive boat without water to drink. You eat your 900mOsm of solute over the day, and since the kidney can maximally concentrate urine (under normal physiologic circumstances) to 1200mOsm/liter, you'd only need to drink 900/1200 = 750 mL to supply enough fluid to excrete your solute load. Amazing little organs, huh? :)

(Of course if you consume nothing but beer for the day, you won't be taking in 900mOsm of solute, so you'll get into trouble much, much faster....especially when you consider that alcohol inhibits water reabsorption in the kidney....the reason you have to pee so much sooner than if you had drank the same volume of Pepsi! :) )

Jim

"I read it takes two gallons of water in one day to overhydrate but I wonder if anything over just one gallon would adversely affect a diver? Too much of a good thing?"

You'd have a plenty warm wetsuit. I don't know. Drinking two gallons is almost exactly what did it to me (boy does it suck too). I was sweating a lot at the time, and was so thirsty that I was replenishing more than enough of the water I lost, but NONE of the electrolytes. Others on that trip were eating chips, and drinking beer, but I couldn't get enough water, and was thirsty while drinking it (later found out that's one of the indications for water intoxication; whoops)

I've seen it discussed, but haven't heard of anyone doing it while diving; usually it's a privilage reserved for marathon runners, and me, apparently.

Ishie:
"I read it takes two gallons of water in one day to overhydrate but I wonder if anything over just one gallon would adversely affect a diver? Too much of a good thing?"

You'd have a plenty warm wetsuit. I don't know. Drinking two gallons is almost exactly what did it to me (boy does it suck too). I was sweating a lot at the time, and was so thirsty that I was replenishing more than enough of the water I lost, but NONE of the electrolytes. Others on that trip were eating chips, and drinking beer, but I couldn't get enough water, and was thirsty while drinking it (later found out that's one of the indications for water intoxication; whoops)

I've seen it discussed, but haven't heard of anyone doing it while diving; usually it's a privilage reserved for marathon runners, and me, apparently.

What makes this a bit weird, for me anyway, I've never even heard of such a thing before. Never knew it existed. Were you checked for diabetes?

I just read an article on overhydration like 4 months ago. It stated that 3 people have died of overhydration in the past 10 years, all of them were running a marathon at the time. So I don't think it's too much of concern.

GoBlue!:
Pilot-

As a nephrologist, I feel qualified to discuss fluids & electrolytes. :wink: Assuming you have normal kidney function & are not on medications that affect your kidney's ability to dilute urine, your body will keep up with your water intake just fine if you're drinking 1-2 gallons of water/day. In fact, most people should have no problems drinking 3-5 gallons/day (12-18 liters or so). That's the short answer.

If you want to know the reason, the kidneys are very effective at maintaining the solute composition of your body. Consuming a typical Western diet may add approximately 900 mOsm/day to the body, which the kidney must excrete daily. The most dilute urine one can usually make (with normal kidneys & no interfering meds) is 50 mOsm/liter. Therefore, if necessary, the kidney could make 900/50 = 18 liters of urine to excrete this solute load. If you drink in excess of 18 liters, in this example, the kidney is already making it's most dilute urine possibile, and the "extra" water will accumulate in the body. This can cause problems if it accumulates too rapidly.

On the flip side, let's say you're out on a dive boat without water to drink. You eat your 900mOsm of solute over the day, and since the kidney can maximally concentrate urine (under normal physiologic circumstances) to 1200mOsm/liter, you'd only need to drink 900/1200 = 750 mL to supply enough fluid to excrete your solute load. Amazing little organs, huh? :)

(Of course if you consume nothing but beer for the day, you won't be taking in 900mOsm of solute, so you'll get into trouble much, much faster....especially when you consider that alcohol inhibits water reabsorption in the kidney....the reason you have to pee so much sooner than if you had drank the same volume of Pepsi! :) )

Jim
Now THERE is some amusing information.
So I'd like to know (I have no medical background) what is an mOsm?
Is this anything like a n00b? :dance:

And do you have any suggestions of neat-o things we can eat to change the color or our...um...peepee? :D

There have been several cases of fatal hyponatremia during collage fraternity hazings, where young men have been forced to drink a large quantity of water in a short period of time.

Back
Top Bottom