Equipment swap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

downdeep

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am currently in DM class and have an equipment swap coming up. My buddy and I think it would be easier to start by wearing each other's gear and then swapping into our own. We have wrestled with several other ideas and have come to one conclusion. We love to wrestle.

Anyone else have any thoughts or stories concerning their experiences with the equipment swap?

Kinda OT, but is this part of your DM class? What is it supposed to accomplish?

My instructor says it is a thought provoking exercise in problem solving.

It is part of the PADI DM training class.. A lesson on problem management / task loading.

Essentially, you buddy breathe (one reg) and completely remove gear, and switch masks... then don the gear completey submerged (deep end of pool) and buddy breathing throughout..

REALLY an eye opener... You and your "buddy" should figure out what to do.. Although I completed this.. I would not look for suggestions. Need to figure out what to do between the 2 of you..

:)

Good Luck.. one of the hardest things I ever did....

Only advice... Take your time... focus on breathing / control.

I only hope I can stop laughing long enough since my small BC, fins, etc vs his large doesn't exactly make for a perfect fit. Thus the reversal of equipment prior to exchange. At least we have that much figured out.

downdeep:
I only hope I can stop laughing long enough since my small BC, fins, etc vs his large doesn't exactly make for a perfect fit. Thus the reversal of equipment prior to exchange. At least we have that much figured out.

Make sure yo both have the same amout of weight. I had a friend that was doing that exercise, he was wearing 8#'s his buddy 14. Made quite a show watching them until they realized what was happening and switched weight pouches.

downdeep:
I am currently in DM class and have an equipment swap coming up. My buddy and I think it would be easier to start by wearing each other's gear and then swapping into our own. We have wrestled with several other ideas and have come to one conclusion. We love to wrestle.

Anyone else have any thoughts or stories concerning their experiences with the equipment swap?

You're cheating here amigo. YOU'RE the one who is supposed to figure it out. No help. I'm telling. Who's your instructor? :D

Too funny. You know, scuba is serious stuff, but it's also supposed to be fun and I'm having a ball with this equipment swap thing.

If your gear size varies that much sounds like swapping into your own gear might be a good plan. Main thing is concentrate on the buddy breathing... if I remember right the exercise isn't timed... so take three good breaths before passing over.

countryboy is right though you have to decide the plan with your buddy, techniques only work if they suit your own team.

Best of luck!

I had kind of approaced this exercise as what is the big deal? All I can say is it was a lot harder than we had anticipated and took several tries for each of us in the class. It is a problem solving and task loading exercise. Just try to get a buddy who breathes at a somewhat normal rate and not one who takes the longest, slowest breaths humanly possible so that you are signalling that you need the darn reg NOW! LOL :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom