Lift procedure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFreak

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So here I am last night with my 5 DM Candidates, who are doing very well, in the pool, and we're doing some rescue skills, the lift to be specific, so I start off...

"Ok guys, throw some points my about what kinda things you've to do while lifting an unconscious diver from the bottom."

And then I hear...

"If the reg isn't in the divers mouth, put in your octopus and purge it". :11:

So what about you lot? Are you gonna stick an octopus into the unconscious divers mouth and purge??

The soapbox is waiting...:wink:

I'd attempt to put the reg back in the mouth but wouldn't waste my time if it didn't go in easily. I would not purge.

The rule I was taught was do not replace the reg...just get the diver to the surface ASAP. I can think of several reasons not to put the reg into the mouth, for one, their mouth is full of water, you could possibly force some of that water into the lungs if the mammalian reflex has relaxed. I would definately NOT purge the octo, that would force water into the lungs or even the stomach which would cause vomiting and further compromise the airway on the surface. Get the diver on the surface and begin respiratory efforts there. Just my 2 cents.

I was also taught if the reg is not in the mouth do not try to put it back in, just get diver to the surface and assess there. if the reg is not in the mouth the diver has water in their mouth, probably in their lungs, water in the reg, is probably not breathing anyway, etc. You will force water into some area if you purge the reg in their mouth, lungs stomach, both whatever. Takes up time and is not likely to do any good and possibly do some harm. Get them to the surface, assess, call for help, start rescue breathing, get to shore/boat. Althought I understand there has now been a shift to get them to shore without starting rescue breathing, don't know if I could tow a non-breathing victim without initiating rescue breaths.

I would roll them on there back, do not replace the regulator or give them the octo inflate the BC or wing slightly and get them to the surface asap. If the ascent gets to be too fast or out of control I would let them go on there own. You can't be of much help if you get the bends also. Once on the surface depending on how far you are from the shore, boat or help would determine weather or not to start any kind of rescue breathing. I was taught not to give rescue breaths untill the person is in a stable situation.

jafo

Get the diver to the surface and get other help is THE priority.

Think about it - using the reg to ventilate (thats what your doing when you hit the purge button) shoves air and water into the lungs at about 150 psi - no good can come from that.

ScubaFreak:
So here I am last night with my 5 DM Candidates, who are doing very well, in the pool, and we're doing some rescue skills, the lift to be specific, so I start off...

"Ok guys, throw some points my about what kinda things you've to do while lifting an unconscious diver from the bottom."

And then I hear...

"If the reg isn't in the divers mouth, put in your octopus and purge it". :11:

So what about you lot? Are you gonna stick an octopus into the unconscious divers mouth and purge??

The soapbox is waiting...:wink:
I would put my reg in front of him and get him to the surface. If he comes around and wants a reg on the way up, I want him breathing my gas.

Putting the reg in his mouth and purging it would be nuts.

I agree that the top priority is to get the diver to the surface. I also feel it may - may - be worthwhile to make sure air and not water is in the victim's mouth, just in case the victim tries to breathe. I will therefore, on a not-to-interfere-with-the-ascent basis, attempt to put a reg in the victim's mouth and purge the water out of it. There is no reason to not purge the reg... since any excess air just flows out the exhaust valve you can't build up any pressure; you don't stand any risk of harming the victim with a purge - what purging does do is get rid of water in the second stage and maybe in the victim's mouth to reduce the amount of water the victim will inspire should he try to inhale.
So, in answer to the original question, the student answered correctly, so long as the student understands the regulator drill is not to interfere with the primary task of getting the victim to the surface.
Rick

If the victim is unconscious, won't he likely have water in his mouth? In which case, what would having a purged reg in a mouth full of water accomplish?

I have been repeatedly taught by different instructors to simply ascend the victim at a safe ascent rate, keeping his head in a normal upright position to ensure open airway to allow for expanding air to vent. Rushing him to the surface only creates the additional risk of DCS and embolism.

Back
Top Bottom