Liveaboard Advice???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver63

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have considered a liveaboard trip, but I have heard stories about some of them which makes me wonder what they are really like and if I would really enjoy such a trip. Such as: The boats are small so you are sharing quarters with other divers on bunk beds. After a few days of being cramped for space people start undressing in front of everone else. Some people get irratated with others, etc. Plus, I snore really bad which would probably bother anyone in close vicinity of me so I wouldn't want to inconvience them either. So can anyone who has made these trips give advice as to the truths and myths and what they are really like?

I'm going on my first liveaboard here in about 4 weeks. My dive club is doing the Aquacat. When I set the dive up, I looked at two options: a) cheap and cramped and b) nice but expensive. The perfect example is the Blackbeard cruise and the Aquacat (same company). For less then 1K you get a week of great diving. But you are on a cramped sail boat for a week with 20 other people. Your only personal space is a small sleeping berth and there isn't much to do on check. For about twich the cost you probably get the same diving, but in MUCH nicer living conditions. Now instead of sleeping berths, you get room (usually 2 people per room). From the pictures, it reminds me of my hotel room in the dorms. Plus nice food, plenty of deck room, free drinks, etc. So it is a personal option. You will get great diving either way - just how important is your comfort between dives to you? Is it worth the almost 2x price tag???? Was for me!

Okay, so I haven't done a liveaboard yet, but I have one booked...does that count?? :wink: We had the same concerns that you are expressing, so specifically looked for a liveaboard that provided us with private cabins and heads. I want my own personal space to retreat to whenever I want, and I don't want to share my bedroom or bathroom spaces with a stranger.

Because of this, we chose to book with Nekton cruises for a trip later this year. Their boats provide everything we're looking for, and the price was right, so we're going for it!

There are a lot of other choices out there, like the Cuan Law, the Aggressor fleet, the Explorer fleet, Peter Hughes, etc., etc., etc....all of whom have boats with private accommodations like Nekton.

You just gotta do your research!

It seems to me that Black Beard would be for those who like tent camping while seeing the sights and Aqua Cat for those who stay in motels while seeing the same sights.

depends what you want...i've been on the truth aquatics boats to the channel islands. Everyone sleeps in one room, with bunks, you keep your gear in the bunk with you. however, you're only in your bunk to sleep, or i was anyway, so who needs a big room, the rest of the time i was in the galley or on deck, if i wasn't in the water. Changing can be difficult, but it's usually only from one pair of shorts to another. If it's a vacation for a week, get one with your own cabin, if it's just diving for a few days, i'm not sure you need it

It depends on the liveaboard. On the high end boats (Aggressor, Peter Hughes, Mike Ball, Nekton, Bilikiki...) this is not the case. Let me give you an idea of Aggressor (I have been on Fiji, Palau, and Belize since November 2003).
The boats are small so you are sharing quarters with other divers on bunk beds.
Most of the cabins are double occupancy w/bunk beds, with a double bed on the bottom bunk, and a single bunk above. There is sometimes one quad cabin on a few boats, but this is the exception rather than the norm. They ARE small, but have a private bath including shower, A/C, and in room video. Linens are changed every 2-3 days, towels every day. Beds are made up every day during the first dive.
After a few days of being cramped for space people start undressing in front of everone else.
Never seen it (darn)! Heard about a group from Russia that were a bunch of drunks and they behaved this way in Fiji, but I have never seen it or heard about it otherwise on the high end boats.
Some people get irratated with others, etc.
Maybe I have been lucky, but this has not been a problem. Sometimes there is a "boat character" but it was never real bad (unless you are a particularly intolerant person.) Quite the contrary, I have met a lot of people that I still correspond with on these trips.
Plus, I snore really bad which would probably bother anyone in close vicinity of me so I wouldn't want to inconvience them either.
This would only be an issue with your roommate (who is your girlfriend who, I presume, is used to it.):)

What is the week like? After a day or so, your fellow divers seem like long lost friends. you wake up, have breakfast, dive, have a snack, read or nap on the sundeck, dive, have lunch, read or nap, dive, have another snack, read or nap, dive, have dinner, watch a slide show or video, night dive, have hot chocolate, watch a DVD or read or whatever, go to sleep. Repeat times 5.

Common areas on the boats include inside lounge (w/TV, video, DVD, stereo), sundeck with shaded portions, and hot tub. Dining area also available to spread out during non meal times.

As you go down in price, maybe some of the issues you mention occur (I have heard some of the smaller Asian boats may be more cramped.) But again, if you make friends easily and can enjoy a week of eat, sleep, dive, and relex, then the top end liveaboards will be as described.

Go to the Aggressor website (or Peter Hughes) and you can see photos of the boats and diagrams of the boat layouts.

Paco:
It seems to me that Black Beard would be for those who like tent camping while seeing the sights and Aqua Cat for those who stay in motels while seeing the same sights.

This is probably going to sound... something... but: which operators would folks recommend for those who stay at the Four Seasons while seeing the same sights?

lairdb:
This is probably going to sound... something... but: which operators would folks recommend for those who stay at the Four Seasons while seeing the same sights?

Four Seasons owns a Liveaboard in the Maldives...

lairdb:
Actually they have one:

http://www.fourseasons.com/maldives/vacations/special_features.html

Edit: Mike beat me by a minute...but no fair he actually posted yesterday, or is it tomorrow? I get all confused by the international dateline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom