DM materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fungi3001

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi

i was just looking at the PADI site to see what materials are required for the course
and it says you need to have the encylopeadia, which i can sort of see why, but it also says you need to have the Instructor Manual, why???

Guy

If you're assisting an instructor in training sessions, the IM helps you be a more effective DM, i.e. one who anticipates the instructor's (and students') needs, and to be that, you must know what it is the instructor is trying to achieve with the students.

Also, your knowing the standards and performance requirements means that if the instructor asks you to help a student one on one, you know what the student is supposed to accomplish.

I don't know what location you're based in (your profile doesn't say), but if your primary role is to lead guided underwater tours, I can see why you'd be puzzled by the need to have an IM. :)

If you read through your PADI DM manual, you'll see that it covers this topic quite extensively.

Plus the IM has standards for Discover Scuba Diving and Discover Local Diving -- both of which a DM can perform. (Special requirements for DSD). Oh, and you will be tested on material in the manual.

fungi3001:
hi

but it also says you need to have the Instructor Manual, why???

Guy

Because the answers of the DM exams are at the back of the Instructor Manual :wink:

I believe having the IM is encouraged, not required. If you plan on continuing to AI or Instructor fairly soon you may as well get it now. If you don't know or want to wait awhile, it may work better for you to wait so you get the most recent update just before your IDC. Your instructor/mentor should have no problem sharing any information you need from his IM.

You don't have to have one for DM class. My shop has a copy if I need to reference it for anything

thanks for the answers

Im not a DM yet but i have planned to go to rarotonga early next year do to an internship for 6 months.

i was just curious about what i would need

Guy

You don't have to have it but it is very helpful. The shop I work for has a copy to use for DM's but I bought my own copy of the Encylopedia, it was useful for the equipment, physics and physiology tests.

Have vs. access to. Agreed that you will use it infrequently as a DM so as long as you have access to one, you should be fine.

fungi3001:
hi

i was just looking at the PADI site to see what materials are required for the course
and it says you need to have the encylopeadia, which i can sort of see why, but it also says you need to have the Instructor Manual, why???

Guy
Encyclopedia of recreational diving
diving knowledge workbook
law and the diving professional
business of diving
Instructor manual
dm manual
wheel
decompression theory and dive computers (not sure on that name)
Best of the Undersea Journal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom