Was I dumb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just returned from a dive off Myrtle Beach SC to Barracuda Alley. There was a 4 foot sand tiger shark swimming around minding his own business. After encountering him/her four times, I decided I would go in close and see what would happen. The little fella let me approach right up to his tail and allowed me to stroke his tail fin three or four times before he inched away out of reach. Is that a good way to lose a finger or a hand? I have to admit it was thrilling.

I then tried touching a huge Barracuda. Once I got within a few inches of his tail he turned his head to look at me. That was enough for me to think twice about getting any closer.

My wife thinks I'm crazy. I think she's right.

del_mo:
I just returned from a dive off Myrtle Beach SC to Barracuda Alley. There was a 4 foot sand tiger shark swimming around minding his own business. After encountering him/her four times, I decided I would go in close and see what would happen. The little fella let me approach right up to his tail and allowed me to stroke his tail fin three or four times before he inched away out of reach. Is that a good way to lose a finger or a hand? I have to admit it was thrilling.

I then tried touching a huge Barracuda. Once I got within a few inches of his tail he turned his head to look at me. That was enough for me to think twice about getting any closer.

Sounds like you did OK in the spirit of adventure, but I gotta think that touching the barracuda might have been asking for trouble. They tend to have an attitude. I've heard that Sand Tigers are relatively mellow tempered sharks. I've never seen one while diving.

I guess it's OK until you get bit and then it's just plain STUPID!

The barracuda was probably more dangerous than the shark... but looking at your avatar and reading the story I think I'm going to agree with your wife :eyebrow:

del_mo:

I THINK ITS AWSOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you lucky son of a gun

My stupid moment: I was diving in the FL Keys last year, and at depth I saw a 5 foot barracuda with a fish hook in his mouth and about a dozen feet of line trailing. I was inching up with my hand out to grab the end of the fishing line when my buddy came up and held out her arm. She then used the fingers of her other hand as "teeth" biting her arm with enthusiasm. I got the message, but I was laughing.

Come to think of it, I have many stupid moments. :dork:

I think it was a bad move. If you had got bitten, the shark or the barracudas reputation would have taken a hit when it was clearly you who instigated the whole situation.

Jason

del_mo:

i don't totally agree with your wife, as to why she allows you to go diving when you have the tendency to do dangerous things. :wink: Exciting though huh? !

Next time, learn more of the species you are to befriend some may not understand your intention and may take the defensive stance as they don't understand your touching them.

take care.

I go by the rule of look, even look real close, but don't touch. Although it might be cool to feel the shark's tail, I avoid the possibility of a problem by simply keeping my hands off the marine life.

As for the cuda, I’ve touched and had to touch them many times when they blocked my egress from caves, swim throughs, and wrecks and only had a problem once. I’ve never had a problem with a cuda if it’s all silver, but if it’s flashing black strips stay away. The one that really scared me had something wrong and it was away from the rest of them, it was being harassed by a large grouper, and his sides were almost completely black.

I spent a few days filming some sand tigers and never had any problems with the smaller (under 4-5’) ones, but the bigger ones got a little spooky at times. The smaller ones always gave you plenty of warning with their pectoral fins pointing down and a slight arch to the back if they didn’t want you around, but the larger ones were a little more subtle in their warning. They also seemed much less aggressive if I stayed vertical rather than horizontal around them.

Back
Top Bottom