dir or not dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
as a person getting into tec diving, i have found 2 ways to go. 1, the DIR way and 2 as DIR puts it the dangerous way. I have talked to some people high up in DIR and have been told that your gear configuation has to be one way only. you need a manifold that uses a static oring system(halcyon) and not a compressed oring system(OMS). I am a person who looks at things from all angles to deside the best way to go. When i heard that about the manifolds i asked if DIR had any reports showing the failure rate of any of the systems that are "dangerous". Thats the last i heard from them. My question is.. has anyone heard of any reports backing up what DIR says?? The way i look at it is.. if using a compressed oring system is bad, then DIR should not allow DIN style fittings since they also use a compressed oring and that oring is more likely to blow out then the oring in the manifold.

I don't know how much experience you have but from your post it seems as if you have NO idea what you're talking about.... or is this just a lame attempt to start a flame war??

If you just don't know and are really looking for answers get some more experience and try "DIR". Learn what it's really all about (hint: it's not just gear)

If it's merits are not obvious to you now as you progress in your training and skill they should become so.

DSAO!!

thats the same answer i get from all the DIR people.. what i would like is some proof saying there way is the best way. They must have some information backing up what they say???

Originally posted by scuba_guy
I have talked to some people high up in DIR

SEE! I told you guys that DIR is a hierarchy!!!!

hehehehe:wink:

thats the same answer i get from all the DIR people.. what i would like is some proof saying there way is the best way. They must have some information backing up what they say???
As you say you are "a person who looks at things from all angles to deside[sic] the best way to go."

So do your own homework.

BTW your aversion to getting wet...
And just reading on the net...
Will not get you there...
(Or anywhere)...
So dive it and see what you get...

i have no aversion to getting wet.. i dive 12 months a yr. 3 months being ice diving.. all i want is some material backing up what they preach..i have nothing against DIR i just want something more then people saying "its more then gear configuation" after i am finished with gear then i will move on to other parts of DIR. So far no one has been able to back anything up..sorry

The preference for barrel o-rings versus face captured o-rings are for a number of reasons:

The barrel o-ring will allow play in the cross member of the manifold. The reason for this is to allow some give if the manifold strikes a solid object. The reasoning is that the isolator will rotate and absorb some of the impact without breaking off. With a face sealed system you do not have this capability, so the isolator will take the full force of the impact and could break or become offset enough to allow the o-ring to protrude from the face seal.

The barrel o-ring system will allow some play in the distance between a set of doubles. If you don’t think that this is needed than you don’t have any experience putting doubles together.

The barrel o-ring system has 2 o-rings versus 1 o-ring a little more assurance that a o-ring failure will not lead to catastrophic gas loss. I have not had a failure of my barrel o-ring manifolds. I have had a couple regulator o-rings protrude from the face. This has happened on the surface prior to jumping in. It would not take much to have the same thing happen underwater if the manifold is not secured tightly (it can happen, everything loosens up over time) and the tanks or manifold is struck or twisted or torqued.

It comes down to a risk analysis. What is the preferred and safer style. If you do not have a manifold and are planning on buying one than it is a no brainer to me.

Now go do some homework.

omar

sorry
Yes...

Anyway... no one owes you an explanation... no one owes you anything... as a skeptic you demand proof... and none is forth coming... you take this as evidence that there is no proof... and it will continue to elude you... many hardened skeptics have done a DIRF and come away believers... (and disbelievers in themselves)... you want proof??? then seek proof... you want to argue behind the guise of inquiry???... forgetaboutit...

omar thank you for your reply. your the first one who has given a reason for going to a hayclon manifold. but being good DIR divers should they be checking there equipment before each dive??? Think i will have to send an email to OMs and see what reports they have had about oring failure in there manifolds.. i'm willing to bet if they have .. its been all due to human error.

and by the way i do do my homework,, as i am now :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom