1st Gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
I bought a Sea Hornet 42" Mahogany today, not much in the way of instructions came with it. So a few questions for those of you with experance on these guns.

There are 3 band notches but only 2 bands I know it is recomended to only use 2 bands with these guns, but which notches on the spear should I use?

Is there a sequence I shouild follow when streaching the bands to lock them on the spear? Such as position the inside band 1st or last, position the inside band to the forward notch etc??

Where is a good shore entry loction to go try the gun around Central Fl?

You can use any of the notches on the spear. I just use the first two (I've got a 48" biller, two band). First band to the first notch, second band to the second.

Be very careful doing a shore spearfishing dive. The law there is vague and open to interpretation. I wouldn't recommend it.

You may want to PM Chad Carney. He's a spearfishing instructor in St. Pete, I believe, and while I've never spearfished with him, I hear lots of good things about him.

It really doesn't matter which two notches you use. If you can load the rear two, that is fine. If that is difficult for you, then use the front two. Using the rearmost notches will give you more power. Try to be consistant and use the same two every time.

When he bands are uncocked, you will notice that they lay one above the other in the muzzle. The bottom band is loaded into the rear notch, and the top one is loaded into the forward notch of the two that you use.

keyshunter:
It really doesn't matter which two notches you use. If you can load the rear two, that is fine. If that is difficult for you, then use the front two. Using the rearmost notches will give you more power. Try to be consistant and use the same two every time.

When he bands are uncocked, you will notice that they lay one above the other in the muzzle. The bottom band is loaded into the rear notch, and the top one is loaded into the forward notch of the two that you use.

KH,

You probably meant to say that more clearly, but it came out sounding backwards. The first band to load is the one on the bottom of the muzzle, it hangs the longest, and it must be knotched into the first of the two notches you choose to use. The second or top band is stretched past the first loaded band, to the next knotch. If that band is too strong, (not likely because the set on most guns is for beginners), get one longer one. You will probably end up getting stronger bands soon anyway, and often using only one for freeshafting.

Shore dive spearing is unfortunately pretty much nonexistent on the west coast of Florida. Get on someone's boat to check out the gun.

Unless you live in a dirty water area I'd recommend a 48" to 58" gun also.

Reef, thanks for the plug!

Chad

You are right Chad,
I did say it rather awkwardly. But I meant exactly what you said. Thanks for the clarification.

Sylvester,

I would highly recommend taking a spearfishing class from Chad, learning to freeshaft, and using one one band for MOST fish.

It has worked well for me!

Scott

keyshunter:
I'm not sure about the be "consistant" part. Different fish, requires different approach. Aiming at a legal grouper or cobia you'll need all the power you can get, but a 14" spanish mack. will disassemble if you blast it with too much power. With the same logic, a flounder doesn't require any band at all, just stab him up close.

Thanks for all the input folks, I have made contact with Chad prior to posting this. I am glad to see Chad comes so highly recommended. If any of ya'll are intersted in taking a beginner class with Chad in July. PM me lets see if we can come together on a weekend or weekday for it.

sylvester:
Thanks for all the input folks, I have made contact with Chad prior to posting this. I am glad to see Chad comes so highly recommended. If any of ya'll are intersted in taking a beginner class with Chad in July. PM me lets see if we can come together on a weekend or weekday for it.

If you do it on a weekday, I can probably tag along and shoot some fish!!!

Scott

sylvester:
I bought a Sea Hornet 42" Mahogany today, not much in the way of instructions came with it. So a few questions for those of you with experance on these guns.

There are 3 band notches but only 2 bands I know it is recomended to only use 2 bands with these guns, but which notches on the spear should I use?

Is there a sequence I shouild follow when streaching the bands to lock them on the spear? Such as position the inside band 1st or last, position the inside band to the forward notch etc??

Where is a good shore entry loction to go try the gun around Central Fl?

One of the tips that will make or break your spearfishing is to remember to lay down the spear tip prongs or wings if you have them. If they are open, you lose a lot of penetration power at impact with the fish. When that happens you will lose a strong fish if you didn't kill it or knock it out with the hit as the spear will pull out. With the prongs layed down, my spear almost always goes all the way through the fish (even very big fish) if you hit it in any part of the soft body, and in cases where you hit it in the head or gill plates, you generally get enough penetration where it doesn't pull out. In my experience, if I forget and leave them open, I never get good penetration. That usually happens when you see a good fish and get excited and forget that you never put them down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom