Scuba Manufactures = DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
It took seven and half weeks after ordering DUI dry suits, These new sutis are just stock sized ones with a short sleeve cuts. But, when these suits were arrived yesterday, the inflation hose is missing and the sleeve cuts haven’t been done at all. In addition, the new system, Halcyon has a minor issue about the proper bolt seat on STA. As you may know, they put the inspection stickers all over the items. LOL~~ But, there are always some issues with the new items. I feel like buying American cars compared to Japanese ones. It is so annoying whenever I ordered the new scuba items. Why can't the scuba manufactures do it right before shipping out? I am sure the scuba manufactures should join in the “DIR” world.

P.S. I don't drink a beer anymore, at least a month.

"Halcyon has a minor issue about the proper bolt seat on STA"

Huh? What is the issue?

Um, where did you get your Halcyon system? I've seen a bunch of Eclipse systems and not a one of them had this problem.

I'm not sure it's yet fair to say it's Halcyon's problem just yet. I'm not defending Halcyon, but it seems odd and it could be shop or user error.

I have an Eclipse and the only bolt seat problems are user error. I'm guilty of putting it together wrong user error plain and simple. I got in a hurry. If you take the time to look at the pieces it's obvious.

As far as DUI goes When you customize a suit it ships 5 weeks after the factory gets the order. If your LDS didn't send the order in right away or the freight was delayied it could easily be 7 weeks. Can't comment on the result don't know what was ordered.

As far as the manufactures go. Even some of the one's that are mainstream in Technical Diving have not fully embraced it. I mentioned to a major Factory Rep last winter that they weren't doning enough to embrace tech and that when I dive I have 5 of his first stages and 4 2nd's. His comment was that tech is less than 1% of their market.

Dm

Hoosier,

From the description of your problem, and based on the pics, I still think you've got a minor machining error on your hands. I don't think this is a widespread problem. The carriage bolts fit tight, and there's not much room for error.

Well,

Like I said, I completely dis-assembled the STA from the plate and tried swap the bolt and did everything what I could do except a filing (I don't have a chance to get the tool). I think it is the matter of plate because the bolt swapping doesn’t help. I hope it is my error because it is the easiest way to fix. But, the pictures, post #12, talk at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=101395

jonnythan:
I'm not sure it's yet fair to say it's Halcyon's problem just yet. I'm not defending Halcyon, but it seems odd and it could be shop or user error.

Jonnythan, if you read this thread, http://www.thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=189416#post189416, you might be right. It is not Halcyon, but a dealer shop.

Have you tried tightening the wingnut really tight to pull the bolt into the hole?

When the STA is made, the holes a punched into the steel. I would guess that when you order the STA somebody grabs a STA off the shelf, a couple cambands, and a couple bolts and throws them in a box.

So the bolt to STA fit is not necessarily tested at the factory. They probably have a bolt or guage that they test the holes with when they make it and ship it off. it's possible that one of your holes didn't punch well. Have you switched the bolts around does the one that's working only work on the one hole?

Sounds like a simple fix, if nothing else smack it with a hammer it'll seat.

Dave

Yes, I tried tightening the SS knob with the wrench. I don't use the wingnut.

And, I tried swap the bolt. I think the bolt is ok because there is no issue on the other side hole.

Smack it with a hammer? Good option. Actually, it ia my way:wink: But, I will be away until I get a response from Halcyon.

akscubainst:
Have you tried tightening the wingnut really tight to pull the bolt into the hole?

When the STA is made, the holes a punched into the steel. I would guess that when you order the STA somebody grabs a STA off the shelf, a couple cambands, and a couple bolts and throws them in a box.

So the bolt to STA fit is not necessarily tested at the factory. They probably have a bolt or guage that they test the holes with when they make it and ship it off. it's possible that one of your holes didn't punch well. Have you switched the bolts around does the one that's working only work on the one hole?

Sounds like a simple fix, if nothing else smack it with a hammer it'll seat.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom