Sawfish ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, we're always talking about sharks, mantas, mola mola's, whale sharks, etc. . . but have any of you ever seen a sawfish????

Way back about (I hate to admit it) 30 years ago. We were out from St Simons Island Ga. We were told that a old German sub had been sunk out there during WW2. Including the snout it was about 5 feet long.

There is one at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA. Pretty freaking looking to me. That bill looks like a chainsaw! I don't think I'd want to see one in the wild, without the glass between us.

The Kraken:
OK, we're always talking about sharks, mantas, mola mola's, whale sharks, etc. . . but have any of you ever seen a sawfish????

One summer day in the mid 90's I was on a solo spearfishing dive along the outer reef (locally known as The Bar) about 15 miles west of Key West. I was about 80 feet deep and the vis was about 30 feet. I looked to my right and saw a large shape coming out of the murk toward me. Thinking that it was a shark I was not particularly concerned, since I had frequently seen sharks in the area, and had no fish on the stringer. As it got closer, I saw the most magnificent underwater sight I had ever seen. The "shark" was a sawfish, with a saw at least 30" long and a total body length of about 8 feet. I hung in the water in total amazement, and he slowly swam a semi-circle around me at about 10 feet and then headed away. He never made the slightest aggressive move and I did not feel the least bit threatened. I stayed still for quite a while hoping he would come back, but he did not. Although it was about 10 years ago, I recall the incident as clearly as if it happened yesterday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom