Garage Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone provide more info on storing gear in the garage? The problem I hear of is that hydrocarbons will cause rubber to deteriorate. Right now the gear is in the garage and unless I have a vehicle in for a repair they stay in the yard during dive season. I do have a few lawnmowers and snowblowers in there with varying amounts of fuel in the tanks.

The off season location is the basement where the oil burning furnace is. The moisture coming off wet gear would be a nightmare down there unless I induce serious ventilation.

So what do I really need to keep away from what?

Pete

Here is where some of my gear sits 24-7-365 nomatter what the weather. I have some in the boat, garage, basement and every other space in the house.

I can't tell you which is best other than keep it dry and out of direct sunlight as much as possible. onditions vary so much from one area to another. Some peoples garages are better suited than their house and some houses are better suited then the garage, so there is no one right answer.

Gary D.

I bought a large plastic toolbox at the hardware store, the kind that mounts in the back of a pick up, about $100. It holds all my gear, except my tanks which stay on a rack I made out of PVC.

I keep my tanks/ weights in the garage year round and I string a line across it to hang wet gear. After the gear is dry (which is FAR to often as of late) it lives in my Scuba closet which is just off my rec room in the basement.

See you on the bottom

Mark

I picked up a Rubbermaid garden shed from one of the home improvement stores, and it holds my 4 tanks, bags, UW Metal detector and ALL the dive gear for me, my girlfriend and my son. (Full kits and multiple wetsuits.)

I drilled a 1 1/2 inch hole near the top on both sides, and ran a wooden rod from side to side, to hang equipment on hangers. Then I drilled a series of 1 inch holes across the top of the side panels for ventilation.

It sits against the back wall of the house where it's shaded by the trees. It seems to ventilate well, and is never an oven or even really warm when I open it.

It works VERY, VERY well, and keeps the clutter out of sight, and the wet things outside.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=19218-1217-FG374601 714&lpage=none

Watch out for electric motors in the garage that are often used (like a washing machine) they give off ozone and it damages rubber

DB

Back
Top Bottom