Water Moccasin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone ever encountered a water moccasin while diving? I am deathly afraid of snakes and do not know how I would react if I saw one while diving. If you encountered one are they agresive? do they swim away from you? how did you react? Just wondering...I went diving in freshwater on Saturday and could not help but think about encountering one. I know for a fact that if I saw one I probably would never dive freshwater again....had a bad snake experience when I was 5 years old...I would probably kill myself just getting away from one...

goofystan:
Has anyone ever encountered a water moccasin while diving? I am deathly afraid of snakes and do not know how I would react if I saw one while diving. If you encountered one are they agresive? do they swim away from you? how did you react? Just wondering...I went diving in freshwater on Saturday and could not help but think about encountering one. I know for a fact that if I saw one I probably would never dive freshwater again....had a bad snake experience when I was 5 years old...I would probably kill myself just getting away from one...

If it's not wearing a SCUBA tank, don't worry about it. It won't follow you down. <g>

Stan,
Keep in mind that throughout the southern states that there are at least 20 different species of non-poisonous water snakes. Just because it's a snake, it's dark and it's near the water doesn't necessarily make it a "watter moccasin".

Now I'm not saying that the snake you saw wasn't a water moccasin, I'm just saying that there was about a 95% chance that it wasn't.

Water moccasins can be aggressive, but that's above water. But like any other wild creature, if it's territorial imperative is threatened, it will attack.

Just make sure that when you reach back to check your regulator hose - it doesn't move on its own !!! :11:

Have fun !!!!

the K

Actually, while my wife & I were taking our Cavern course at Ginnie Springs, we had a close encounter with a water snake.

We were standing around the stairs, mostly in the water, discussing our last dive. Suddenly a 3' snake swam right in between Jim Wyatt & my wife. It swam off before any of us had time to react. We saw several more swimming around the edges that day as well.

Now this was when the water was VERY high, (top of stairs), and I assume the snakes were being pushed out of there natural spaces due to the flooding.

Remember, you are bigger than them, if you don't threaten them they will probably try to get away from you. Do NOT corner them.

In addition, water moccasin bites are very rarely fatal, and I would say that its next to impossible to get bit by one while scuba diving.

Eels look alot like snakes - you need to handle this fear before doing saltwater reef diving.

A big old moray like Mr. Rogers (In Bonaire in from of Captain Don's) wouldn't be good for you to meet.

DD

DeputyDan:
Eels look alot like snakes - you need to handle this fear before doing saltwater reef diving.

A big old moray like Mr. Rogers (In Bonaire in from of Captain Don's) wouldn't be good for you to meet.

DD

I have been on many saltwater reef dives and yes encountered several Moray's did not phase me...Thanks..

goofystan:
I have been on many saltwater reef dives and yes encountered several Moray's did not phase me...Thanks..

I don't think that morays were the point. There are a bunch of eels that look nothing like morays and EXACTLY like snakes.

Picture_133.sized.jpg

This was at the bottom of the basin at Ginnie Springs. It wasn't aggressive at all, but it wasn't intimidated by us either. It did swim in our direction, but we got out of its way as it went past us on its way to a submerged limb.

Water mocassins ain't eels. They're nasty and often aggressive. While it's true that their (or a rattler's) bite rarely is fatal, my understanding is that the bite can damage permanently the muscle where it hits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom