which is a better diving magazine???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ip planning to subscribe to one of these magazines: Scuba diving Magazine or SPORT DIVER magazine? these are the only diving magazines i have access to in my country. any of you guys read any of these? which should i get thanks!

I prefer Scuba Diving because I like their gear reviews. (and I know I 'm gonna get flamed for saying that).. :D

I enjoy reading them both though.

Get both for one year. The one you look forward to reading every issue, and has the "flavour" that appeals to you best after one year should be the one you renew.

DaFireMedic:
I prefer Scuba Diving because I like their gear reviews. (and I know I 'm gonna get flamed for saying that).. :D

I enjoy reading them both though.

arent scuba diving mags reviews biased? also sport diver is a padi magazine that a good thing:)?

Spoon:
arent scuba diving mags reviews biased?

Probably, they have advertisers they don't want to anger, and you have to take the reviews for what they're worth. But I've found that in general I've agreed their reviews of the equipment that I've tried and their testing methods are for the most part sound. I also enjoy reading about the various features of the equipment tested for comparison and prices, stuff that doesn't require an opinion.

As far as Sport Diver being a PADI magazine, I don't know if that's good or bad. I don't think its gotten any better since it became the PADI magazine, nor worse for that matter. I can't really tell much of a difference. Its a decent read, especially the travel articles.

Truth be told, they both have great pictures and enjoyable articles. I read them both.

Spoon:
ip planning to subscribe to one of these magazines: Scuba diving Magazine or SPORT DIVER magazine? these are the only diving magazines i have access to in my country. any of you guys read any of these? which should i get thanks!

Hi there Spoon - you should also be able to pick up Asian Diver in a shop near you: I've found its the best general diving magazine for our part of the world: lots of stuff on dive sites in the philippines and nearby.

Most of the 'reviews' in diving magazines appear to be direct quotes from the manufacturers advertising bumf. That’s why we have scubaboard: so you can learn from people who have actually used the stuff….

Cheers,
Rohan.

Advanced Diver Magazine, If you been diving for more than 2 years and tired of reading the same **** over and over. You may be able to order it where you from otherwise the 2 magazine you mention are OK.

DaFireMedic:
Probably, they have advertisers they don't want to anger, and you have to take the reviews for what they're worth. But I've found that in general I've agreed their reviews of the equipment that I've tried and their testing methods are for the most part sound. I also enjoy reading about the various features of the equipment tested for comparison and prices, stuff that doesn't require an opinion.

As far as Sport Diver being a PADI magazine, I don't know if that's good or bad. I don't think its gotten any better since it became the PADI magazine, nor worse for that matter. I can't really tell much of a difference. Its a decent read, especially the travel articles.

Truth be told, they both have great pictures and enjoyable articles. I read them both.

thanks bro much appreciated!

There both great publiactions. It seems to me that one fills in where the other one lackes. If I were you I would splurge and get both if possible.

pt40fathoms:
Get both for one year. The one you look forward to reading every issue, and has the "flavour" that appeals to you best after one year should be the one you renew.
I concur. Darwinian at its best.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom