Do you wear a snorkel while boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dinky_diver

Reaction score
I just got back from a couple of wreck dives off Myrtle Beach SC last week. I was on cattle boat as a single and got buddied up by the DM with another diver. While doing our predive check overs, he does not have snorkel on his mask. I reply that I always keep mine on my mask just in case its needed. He says he never takes a snorkel on a scuba trip, just one more thing to keep up with. I glance around and notice half or more of the divers without snorkels just masks. I'm still new at this with about 25 logged dives in the last couple years with 4 boat dives under my belt but never paid any attention to divers having snorkels before. I always keep my snorkel on my mask for every dive. Just wondering if others do this also or am I just adding drag in the water and another piece of gear to keep up with.

I don't wear a snorkel on boat dives, and usually not on shore dives unless I have to. Unfortunately, the city of Laguna Beach in their wisdom will write you a ticket if you don't have a snorkel on.

With regards to the boat, I prefer to surface swim on my back, and the snorkel is more of a nuisance to me. With regards to the shore, I lose too many snorkels in the surf, and I prefer to surface swim on my back there as well.

Not everyone shares my opinion on this, and you may find the snorkel to be of benefit to you.

some people do, some don't. I find it really annoying on my mask and keep a roll up one tucked away in case I need it.

I haven't used a snorkel in about ten years. If I have to swim on the surface I swim on my back. The weight of my tank(s) is buoyed up by the water displacement so I don't feel the weight as much, and it's easier to breathe straight from the air than through a plastic tube. I also dive in kelp often enough to know that snorkels tend to snag easily and pull at your mask until it floods. Snorkels are for snorkeling.

I used to wear my snorkel just in case, but then realized in surf, surge and current it was affecting my mask seal, so now leave it on the boat. I'm looking at purchasing one of the folding ones for my BC pocket for just in case if I need an extended surface time in waves, but otherwise I've not regretted it one iota.

DaFireMedic:
I don't wear a snorkel on boat dives, and usually not on shore dives unless I have to. Unfortunately, the city of Laguna Beach in their wisdom will write you a ticket if you don't have a snorkel on.

With regards to the boat, I prefer to surface swim on my back, and the snorkel is more of a nuisance to me. With regards to the shore, I lose too many snorkels in the surf, and I prefer to surface swim on my back there as well.

Not everyone shares my opinion on this, and you may find the snorkel to be of benefit to you.
Fortunately the ordinance isn't specific. It only states you must possess a snorkel. Whenever I dive Laguna I keep a snorkel in my pocket.

MaxBottomtime:
Fortunately the ordinance isn't specific. It only states you must possess a snorkel. Whenever I dive Laguna I keep a snorkel in my pocket.

The last time I was there, the lifeguard made me attach it to my mask. It may have just been him.

Very correct... some do, some don't. I personally like my snorkel when I'm wreck diving from a boat. I use the snorkel when surfacing swimming along the tag line from the stern of the charter boat to the bow / mooring / down line. If the waves are bad, then I'll use my regulator but if not, then the snorkel. Why waste air in the tank if I don't need to?

nope

don't need it, don't carry it

i usually use one but in recent times havent used it. i still do once in awhile but the majority of my boat dives i dont. find it a hassle underwater. its all a matter of personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom