Kids and diving in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bridgenet

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I are headed to Hawaii for the first two weeks of August with two teenagers (14 and 17). Of course they don't dive but we are working on it :huh:

Packing the regs and doing a 3 tank Niihau trip in Kauai, leaving the kids behind given the rough ride (I'll be sick but worth it). Spending the weekend in Wailea (Kihei), Maui and following full week in Kaanapali, Maui (Marriot freebie miles :)). Figure in Kihei we can sneak off on an early morning run with Ed Robinson over the weekend to Molokini, but any idea of groups that include both snorkeling and decent diving. We are advanced divers so going off on our own isn't a problem but would really like to find some operators that have things top side for the kids while we enjoy our 45 minutes under water. We are doing other things like kayak Na Pali out of Hanalei on Kaui, ATV's (son wants that), but we figure if we scuba under them while they snorkel we can shame them into letting us get them certified (yes, ulterior motive :thumb: ). No that doesn't mean they can join us in Bonaire in September!

Typically my wife and I travel alone while my X takes the kids but would be really cool if anyone out there knew some joint water adventures we could do. My wife was in Maui last year so we know alot about land based things, just need to get these kids wet behind the ears. :thinkingo

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Why not hook them up with Maui Dreams for a discover scuba intro dive... and if they like it, let them get certified while you are there in Maui?

I've thought of that too but first step is to get them interested. Thus far both of them say they don't like the thought of being underwater (grew up with an inground pool) and aren't ones to try new things. It is that first step that is difficult.

Different psychology for each of them :), my daughter is 17 and if the dive instructor is cute well then that will make it real easy to convince her :D . Although not an option Dad wants to opt for...

Talked to Natasha and she had similar problem... She scuba'd while kids snorkeled and they finally got interested. Alot of it is getting them to overcome fear of the unknown and try some new things.

:)

We just returned from Kauai - had a great time diving out of Port Arthur. - Will post the dive report soon - but in the meantime

for the teenagers:
I lost both of my dive buddies when I signed them up for surfing lessons!
Benefits: It's in the water & takes about 2 hours - - - afterwards, they're tired enough that there won't be much in their agenda for the rest of the afternoon!

Hey Larry, that's a cool idea. And I'll do a drift dive under them while they surf :wink: . My son would probably love to try surfing, daughter if the teacher is cute... Would love to hear more of your Kauai trip and any suggestions you may have. We are staying in Kauai August 4 to August 9th then on to Maui till August 16. Will be at the Marriot so any suggestions on dive operators, etc. would be helpful. Also was looking to dive Niihau but Bubbles Below is booked up for Aug 7. Only days I have are 7 and 8 for Niihau. Did you happen to go there, curious about the boat ride, although heard the diving is awesome I'm afraid I will turn green with the rough seas to and from :D

a timeshare resort to the south.

I went home with all good intentions of getting you links & all sorts of info - then it magically became 10PM and those ambitions disappeared - - - I'll do it this weekend.

We dived a boat dive, shore dive and a night dive with Mana Divers. The guide books etc.. that we went to ranked them right up there with Bubbles Below [I didn't get a reservation with them either] - - and I REALLY liked Mana's service and approach [otherwise I would not have paid for 3people X 3 2-tank dives at Hawaii prices [OUCH!!!]
Niihau: We did not do this. I was a bit reticent as my sweetheart does not dive, so I try to limit my excursions to 2-tank dives, that keeps me on her good side as we mix in lots of other stuff. Also, the boys tend to turn very green - so my dive companions weren't too big on it either. There was a shop close to our Resort that did daily trips so I expect you might have a shot there [we rented the surfboards there] - I'll reference this in a later note.

Now that I've found my notes & written my dive reports - a couple more references for you.

Operators: As quoted in my note - I was really happy with Mana Divers . [808-335-0881] I have very vague memory of a comment that they have their booking office in the Marriott - so you might be in luck there, as the largest difficulty I had with them was simply contacting them! [The resort booking desk seemed to have no trouble though!]
The larger operator that was real close to our resort is SeaSport Divers . The website I just looked says that the Niihau trip is Tues/Thurs - but the obvious thing to do is call them at 800-685-5889. The brochure I have proudly claims a Rodale's Readers Choice Award! I broght them up as this is where we rented the surfboards for the boys.

On surfing : we went to "Margo Oberg's Surfing School" - Primarily as it was at the Sheraton near Poipu Beach [Close to our resort] [Don't ahve any web references for them - just 742-8019 and 639-0708 - - or use the hotel booking desk]

Hope this helps! - If you need - drop me a private note and/or repost and I'll check all the touristy stuff we brought back!

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the info, sorry it took me a while to get back to the board but have been traveling alot lately at work. I will definitely check out Mana Divers. Seaport goes to Niihau on Tues/Fri so won't work but that is OK as I think the rough seas would ruin it for me.

Saw Mana divers do a pool intro dive at 3PM at the Marriot too. Trying to get my kids interested. So far not luck but maybe I will get lucky. Have booked a couple of catamaran trips in Maui for Scuba and snorkeling. The scuba will be a bit lame but at least I'll be with my kids.

So far on Kauai we are doing the 17 mile Napali kayak trip from Hanalei and my son wants to ride an ATV other than that we are pretty open. We'll be there from Aug 4 to the 9th then on to Maui. Can't wait!!!

:rainbow:

Kevin:
I just found this post, so, sorry for the late reply.Yes, my boys ages 18 and 14 are now into scuba. The interesting thing is my youngest prefers to dive in the fresh water quarries here, my while oldest went on a dive trip to Florida, (around Deerfiled beach) with out me, and with his buddies that now dive too.
One of his friends already was certified, and one was certified for the trip.
Your daughter would probably think they are cute, since there is never a lack of young women adults calling him.
But anyway.. I thought about the one time I was in Maui.
We did a fantastic thing there. One of the best day trips I have ever done anywhere. It's a bit costly but check out the web site and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.sailtrilogy.com/adventures/lanaisunset/

Hi Natasha,

Thanks for the input, I actually booked their Discover Kaanapali trip a few days ago. Allowed the kids to snorkel and us to scuba. Was it the Discover Lanai Sunset Sail that you went on? Kim and I are looking at heading over there for some early morning diving and probably Molokini. Back around noon which works out with teenagers not wanting to get up in the morning.

Do you remember if diving was available on the Lanai trip and if there was much to do once you got to Lanai? I thought about this trip but figured there would only be beach there and the kids might get bored.

Hey, one way to get my daughter into diving is to borrow your son for a few days :wink:... Am sure that would work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom