Long Hoses For New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
My best friend just recently got OW certified in Colorado. Having all of 4 open water dives under his belt he decided that he was need of a diving fix. Out to Seattle he comes. The only gear he owns is a mask, fins and gloves. Good thing I have plenty of gear. While doing his instruction he did get nitrox and drysuit certified.

At any rate since he had to borrow all my gear including a reg setup he was forced to use a long hose.

We dove throughout the week starting shallow and going progressively deeper as his skills allowed. One of the hardest things for him to achieve was proper buoyancy control. After four days of intensive diving with a couple of open water ascents and 15' stops without a line to reference, I felt he was ready to do some boat dives.

Uncle Pug invited us to join he and Shane for a couple of dives on a recreational site that I had never been to. Depth was 40' - 80'. I knew my friend was ready.

He had a BP/W (which he loved after trying out two other back inflate BC's) Apeks 200's, SPG, single PST 130 and drysuit. He had been using this configuration throughout the week. We had done modified "S" drills a couple of times.

We dropped down for our first dive into a little bit of current. There was all sorts of structure to look at and ultimately finding the anchor toward the end of the dive was not to be had. We swam this way and that, the whole time time my buddy was hoovering. When he got to 500 psi and no up line in sight I had him take my long hose. Since I had over 2000 psi left I wanted to conserve his back gas. We kept looking for a few more minutes and decided to do an open water ascent. Mind you the whole time Mike was shoulder to shoulder and swimming with me. We did a nice slow ascent from 55' and held a 4 minute 15' stop. During the stop we faced one another so I could look him over and make sure everything was O.K. This was a text book air share with a diver doing his 13th dive. We finished the dive with 1100 psi in my tank and 500 in his.

After surfacing he started comparing how the drills went in OW class on the short hose. He loved how we were able to swim side by side and then face each other. Needless to say he won't be going back to using a regular octo configuration. Long hoses aren't just for tech diving anymore.

I couldn't agree more. I just changed to the 7 ft hose 2 weeks ago for some local diving. My buddy and I did some OOA drills and the difference was huge. Much easier, more comfortable, easier to make eye-contact (reassurance). I don't think i'll go back to the short hose.

Every "traditional hose length" user with whom I've ever shared air using my long hose, whether in a drill or a real situation, has marveled at the ease of use and practicality of the long hose system. I think a few of them have even become long-hose converts themselves.

As a follow up:
I was helping Grateful Diver out with his AOW class. I was to go ooa at around 90' with a student. He had a short hose. We were able do to it, held buoyancy, but being face to face horizontally was very difficult. Just making eye contact was limiting without the reg coming out of my mouth. Had we needed to swim anywhere we would have literally been kicking each other.

If there is an arguement for why a short hose is better than a long hose, I've never heard it. I dove for 8 years with a conventional rig before trying a long hose and can't imagine ever going back.

I've heard people say that someone who is inexperienced shouldn't use a long hose. That this is too complex of a configuration for an OW diver to grasp...

Proof positive that, that ain't the case.

ibnygator:
If there is an arguement for why a short hose is better than a long hose, I've never heard it. I dove for 8 years with a conventional rig before trying a long hose and can't imagine ever going back.
Well I know people who will argue that since the long hose was 'invented' as it were for allowing air sharing while going single-file in a wreck/cave, it has no place on a rec diver :wink:

jonnythan:
Well I know people who will argue that since the long hose was 'invented' as it were for allowing air sharing while going single-file in a wreck/cave, it has no place on a rec diver :wink:
Yeah, but nova isn't here anymore... :eyebrow: (all in fun)

Jason

OE2X:
As a follow up:
I was helping Grateful Diver out with his AOW class. I was to go ooa at around 90' with a student. He had a short hose. We were able do to it, held buoyancy, but being face to face horizontally was very difficult. Just making eye contact was limiting without the reg coming out of my mouth. Had we needed to swim anywhere we would have literally been kicking each other.

That student just contacted me today with questions about converting to a long-hose configuration.

OE2X:
I've heard people say that someone who is inexperienced shouldn't use a long hose. That this is too complex of a configuration for an OW diver to grasp...

I've heard way too many arguments why you shouldn't teach this technique or that because "it's too complicated for the new diver" ... I think people who say those things tend to underestimate what a diver is capable of learning if it's presented clearly, and given adequate supervised time to practice the skill. This week-end was a good example ... I pushed my two AOW students very hard, challenged them with skills most divers don't get till they take a divemaster class, and the result was most satisfactory.

Another good example ... one of those students did his first-ever drysuit dives yesterday. On the second dive ... the same dive (and diver) OE2X mentioned earlier ... we did a free ascent from 45 feet with a blue-water safety stop. He handled it beautifully. Not bad for a diver with, maybe, 20 dives under his weightbelt ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was the only LH diver I'd seen in Spokane. Then I did an ooa drill with a guy named Bob. Now there are two of us. (BTW, all went well on his order from 5th D)

I should carry a bunch of 7' and 22" hoses in the back of my truck as a side job. :eyebrow:

The only bad thing about the LH for a recreational diver is it can get caught on the snorkel. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom