Newfoundland diving - across the province

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimInNB

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just learned that work will be making me take a road trip across Newfoundland soon - likely in July.

I've been to the rock before, but never dove there. I will be travelling through Deer Lake, Stephenville, Cornerbrook, Lewisporte, Grand Falls-Windsor, Gander, Clarenville, Marystown, Carbonear, Bay Roberts and, of course, St. John's.

If anyone could provide possible dive sites for these locations, and perhaps a dive buddy if schedules match up, I'd be very grateful. Details on dates are very up-in-the-air right now.

Cheers,
Kim

Diver Joe would be the best information for this. St. John's you'll want to dive the conception bay wrecks(depth range 50-120ft to the deck, depending on the wreck. Then there is Bacon Cover whaling wrecks(D-20ft) 2hrs from st. john's, then the whale bones in Holyrood 1.5h from St.john's. There's Tappers Cove 1/2 hour from St. John's in Torbay. Nice little cove tones of flat fish and sculpin. There is the Marine Labratory in Logy Bay (close to St.John's just not sure on the distance) And the last one I know of is the 200 year old Canons in Bauline depth there is about 22'. I have never dove in Bauline, or the marine Labratory. HOpe you get in some good diving. You can check with Ocean Quest Charters for other spots, ask for Rick Stanley.

Marj

or try blackhead beach on the way to cape spear 10 mins from st john's...or even quidi vidi in St. john's heard its excellent

newfie bubble:
or try blackhead beach on the way to cape spear 10 mins from st john's...or even quidi vidi in St. john's heard its excellent

Look forward to blowing a few bubbles with you... check out this site... www.oceanquestcharters.com I think you will be impressed.... see you soon

Thanks for the kind words Marjorie, have a great summer and see you the next time your down this way...

Diver Joe

Thanks guys for all the recommendations; like Kim I will also be in St Johns for 5 full days of diving. I have been looking forward to this for some time! How many dives can one person fit into one day?

Question though… How cold will the water be in August? 50s? 40s? (Sorry been in the states too long).

CanuckInTexas:
Thanks guys for all the recommendations; like Kim I will also be in St Johns for 5 full days of diving. I have been looking forward to this for some time! How many dives can one person fit into one day?

Question though… How cold will the water be in August? 50s? 40s? (Sorry been in the states too long).
I figure it will be nice and warm in the mid 40's...

Joe

Brrr!!! We're up to 54 here in NB (Shediac area last Saturday).

I'm still firming up details on the trip, but I will definitely be looking for a Bell Island charter, so watch for me, OceanQuest!!!

If anyone else, spaced around the province, wants to buddy up... I am travelling alone, so I will be limited to dives where there is someone to zip up my drysuit!!!

Kim

The cannons in Bauline are nice. You can reach them from the shore. Just jump off the wharf and swim out. As for other dives sites you could check with Pro Sport Diving in Stephenville. There's a shop in lewisporte too but I can't find the link.

Temps range.. as in Conception Bay there is a thermocline.. Last July it was 55 then dropped to 45.... but Vis was awsome :)

I will also be on the rock at the end of August and into September. Total of 16 days. I have already phoned and talked to Ocean Quest about the chances of diving the wrecks off Bell Island, it sounds like I may be able to and also get in some of my required dives if not all of them for my Advanced OW. Won't know for sure until I get there though. I sure hope I can do it. Counting down the days until I leave.

Back
Top Bottom