Tank suggestions for new tech diver...to be.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
In the next month or so I'm planning on beginning my Adv. Nitrox and Deco procedures courses with a long-term goal of getting my Trimix cert. I've asked around and had several suggestions on recommended 'doubles'. LP 104's, Pressed steel E-series 100's (working pressure of 3442), and HP 100's are some of the recommendations.

Any help is appreciated.

Since this is the DIR forum...

What exposure protection are you using?

I would tend to not recommend Faber HP100's as they are WAY negative when doubled up. LP Faber, Worthingtons, or PST E's or LP104s....

Obviously if your diving salt water you may want to consider only galv tanks vs. painted ones.

I'm putting together a set of old PST HP100's (about a lb heavier than the E-series 100's). I'm also looking at getting a set of LP104's or E8-130's.

What kind of exposure protection, what kind of diving, etc etc...

cornfed:
Since this is the DIR forum...

What exposure protection are you using?
I have several suits. I guess I would wear AT LEAST a 3mm suit or a 5mm. A dry suit is in my short term plans.

As for the type of diving...deep wrecks and reefs (200'-300')

diverio:
I have several suits. I guess I would wear AT LEAST a 3mm suit or a 5mm. A dry suit is in my short term plans.

I believe the general thoughts are no steel tanks (especially doubles) with a thick (5mm+) suit. For a first set of doubles in the ocean why not AL 80's ?

And oh yeah - why 200'-300' when you aren't even thru Advanced Nitrox/Deco ? There is a fairly long path (or should be) before "Full" Trimix to 300'

I would put the drysuit before tanks, as there are not many places in the world warm enough to do a worthwhile dive to 200-300' and the necessary deco without a drysuit. Even with your dive experience, it will take some time to make the drysuit feel like second nature.

As for tanks, considerations include:
- not terribly negative themselves (i.e. no more than a few lbs negative per tank when empty... the heavy fabers, bad)
- if diving wet, can you swim them up from 50' with empty wing (this is why many diving wet go to aluminums plus ditchable weight)
- dry weight on pitching, rolling boat
- if budget is a factor, you can get two sets of Al for the price of one set of steels

Since this is the DIR forum my suggestion would be Double PST100s, a Dry Suit and definately a DIRF class and work your way up to Tech1 & 2 as apposed to your current route. I am in no way bagging on our current goals but again since you posted the question here I thought it would be an appropriate responce. If your not into DIR that's cool but like Mer said you would be well served to get up to speed with a Dry Suit for that very deep diving.

Hope that helps.
-Chris

I suggestion would be to look at double AL80's and take it slow. These two tanks can become stages later on. (so the investment stays with you). If you are planning to go deep, best is to get used to dry suit as well. But to start off, wetsuit and double 80's is a world of difference from singles. It will take time to get it all straightened out with trim, bouyancy and drills/skills. Also get DIRF (if into this) and then practice some more....... (DIRF and double is a VERY good basis to expand from)

Then start getting into the serious stuff.... at this time you can get steel tanks and use AL's for stages.... build a basis first would be my advise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom