Exposure Suit Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
To the DIR members of the board:

If you feel this thread should be moved to the exposure suit forum, please say so and I'll ask one of the supers to move it, but I post it here because I feel that I can get much more informative and succinct responses here than I can in a more generalized forum.

Of those of you who have used both shell type and neoprene type exposure suits, which of the two would you recommend for recreational and wreck/penetration diving?

Please, keep it sweet and simple . . .

Thanx . . .

the K

(P.S. - based on a suggestion from one of your bretheren I've put a hold on an order)

The Kraken:

If you feel this thread should be moved to the exposure suit forum, please say so and I'll ask one of the supers to move it, but I post it here because I feel that I can get much more informative and succinct responses here than I can in a more generalized forum.

Of those of you who have used both shell type and neoprene type exposure suits, which of the two would you recommend for recreational and wreck/penetration diving?

Thanx . . .

the K

(P.S. - based on a suggestion from one of your bretheren I've put a hold on an order)

I have used both a DUI CF 200 Tech and now a TLS 350. The 350 wins hands down...

Anders

The Kraken:

Thanx . . .

the K

I have used/owned trilams from multiple manufacturers, crushed and uncrushed neoprene, vulcanized rubber, and CLX suits (whatever that material is). Primary diving in drysuits is cave, some open water and occasional wreck. Hands down I think the DUI TLS is the best suit due to its comfort, mobility, and quick drying nature. It does develop pinhole type leaks over time and requires regular maintenance. Probably more than some of the other suits. Also, if you like to push your way through tiny restrictions in wrecks or (as is more often the case) your bouyancy skills aren't up to par for proper overhead diving, it is easier to tear than some of the other suits. However, this is generally more of a diving skills issue than a short coming of the suit itself. A neoprene suit can be slightly more streamlined, but a properly fitting TLS in the hands of a skilled diver won't really offer any noticable additional resistance.

here in the PNW you get a lot of DIR divers in the CF200 because of additional warmth. plus its more rugged for shore diving over rocks and boulders, and its a little more streamlined.

the DIR response to "additional warmth" is that you get a better undergarmet. the DIR response to having it more rugged is that its "optimizing for out-of-water conditions".

I'd respond, though, that the shore conditions in the PNW are often simply part of the dive. your suit is gonna get banged up diving around here, and economically the CF200 may make a lot more sense than the TLS350 (allowing you more money in the long run for scooters, tanks, deco bottles, regulators, etc...)

lamont:
here in the PNW you get a lot of DIR divers in the CF200 because of additional warmth. plus its more rugged for shore diving over rocks and boulders, and its a little more streamlined.

the DIR response to "additional warmth" is that you get a better undergarmet. the DIR response to having it more rugged is that its "optimizing for out-of-water conditions".

I'd respond, though, that the shore conditions in the PNW are often simply part of the dive. your suit is gonna get banged up diving around here, and economically the CF200 may make a lot more sense than the TLS350 (allowing you more money in the long run for scooters, tanks, deco bottles, regulators, etc...)
I'm reading this thread with interest and have a question related to what you've written here.

I'm going to put my ignorance about dry suits on display for a bit, but diving over rocks and boulder is also part of the drill in SoCal at some locations.

I like the idea of the TLS-350 being a good suit to travel with and thought it might be a good idea to attach durable "pads" to parts of the suit to protect it. Since it seems that most DIR divers are partial to the trilaminate shell, is this a good way to protect it? Is this what the CLX-450 is?

Thanks.

Christian

i posted a link to a thread that had a TLS350 made with double material around the shoulders where the harness goes, and CF200 material in the crotch to prevent wear there. not sure where that link went since this thread has been getting edited...

i look at what they're doing to the TLS350 to strengthen it against wear, and it inclines me to go with the CF200...

not everyone is a retired bond trader who builds yachts and can replace their drysuit every year or two...

lamont:
...a TLS350 made with double material around the shoulders where the harness goes, and CF200 material in the crotch to prevent wear there....
That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about. Simply adding a few things to make it more durable. It seems to make sense if that is the kind of diving one is doing.

The CF200 just doesn't sound like the kind of thing I want to lug around at an airport if it isn't completely dry. The TLS350 looks better for that.

I'm thinking about simply doing the over-the-rocks diving in my wetsuit when applicable. But I'd like to go up to the the Pacific North West for a visit and I do like shore diving. I understand that it's a little colder up there. We rarely go down into the high forties around here.

Thanks.

Christian

Let me throw a few more conditions into the equation - I have a 16 year daughter in private school that costs me more per year than a state college. I can't afford the top of the line DUI.

I'm currently reviewing the Bare exposure suits, along with the Dive-Rite 905. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The crux of the question is durability, cost, mobility, insulation - geez all those things one looks for in a dry suit.

I know I've asked for a lot here, but who better can I ask?

I know that no ONE answer is going to be right, but preponderence of responses will have a strong, if not deciding, effect upon my decision.

As an aside, just remember that you guys have a great impact upon the decisions of many members of this board because of who you are - NEVER forget that.

Believe me, I do appreciate ALL of your responses.

the K

lamont:
not everyone is a retired bond trader who builds yachts and can replace their drysuit every year or two...

I have to admit this made me chuckle

headhunter:
That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about. Simply adding a few things to make it more durable. It seems to make sense if that is the kind of diving one is doing.

The CF200 just doesn't sound like the kind of thing I want to lug around at an airport if it isn't completely dry. The TLS350 looks better for that.

This is all DUI suit information. If you get the old style overlay, the upper torso of the TLS is completely covered. The new one does not cover the arms and adds elbow pads instead. This makes it easier to find leaks once they start but does protect the suit less. All of my suits have the old style overlay. You can get whatever knee pads you want. I prefer CF200 as a compromise between the comfort of the plain TLS pads and the durability of something heavier. I did try the kevlar on a suit but that is overkill and not as comfortable. You can also get a CF200 crotch pad now that stops the abrasion from the crotch strap. As I said before, a TLS does take maintenance but will last years. My current primary suit is probably 5 years old. It is due for a patch the minor leaks checkup but is otherwise fine. I do have a "backup CLX" that is only used if the TLS is out for repairs. Due to the low usage it is perfect with no leaks. I still prefer the TLS even in its current condition (which is going back for repairs within the week). So, how long you can go without a drysuit I guess may be an issue. For frame of reference, a TLS used daily for cave diving will last about 2 years. That is a level of abuse far beyond what most divers suits will ever see.

Since the CF200 has been thrown around, I will point out that the most annoying parts of any TLS for me are the necessary CF200 parts, knee pads, pockets, etc. that are always still wet when I pack the otherwise dried out suit for travel.

As for warmth, get the good 400g stuff and you will be happy. It is pricy but worth it. No dry suit is ever completely "dry" but with 400g you don't notice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom