DIR weightbelt use question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was looking for the DIR answer to how to wear a weightbelt with a BP&Ws setup. I thought it was supposed to go under the crotch strap, but now I am hearing that it should go over the crotch strap if you are wearing a wetsuit, and under if you are wearing a drysuit. Also, if it is supposed to go over the strap when wearing a wetsuit, does anyone have any tips for putting it on. I find it difficult to get the weightbbelt on after I have the BP&Ws on. Also, is it anti-dir (for lack of a better term), to use a neoprene weightbelt with soft weights in them instead of a traditional lead hard weight?
Thanks,
Jason

I must admit, I'm not current with the DIR thinking on weight belts over or under with regards to exposure suit.

However, I know many using the neoprene weightbelts during GUE classes without negative comment. I would just go for a neoprene belt that isn't terribly floaty, they also make cloth ones that hold soft weights. Bottom line is make sure it is secure enough that you won't lose weight when you least want to.

Jasonmh:
I was looking for the DIR answer to how to wear a weightbelt with a BP&Ws setup. I thought it was supposed to go under the crotch strap, but now I am hearing that it should go over the crotch strap if you are wearing a wetsuit, and under if you are wearing a drysuit. Also, if it is supposed to go over the strap when wearing a wetsuit, does anyone have any tips for putting it on. I find it difficult to get the weightbbelt on after I have the BP&Ws on. Also, is it anti-dir (for lack of a better term), to use a neoprene weightbelt with soft weights in them instead of a traditional lead hard weight?
Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

I had read and heard on the old DIR tapes from GI3 that weight belts should be worn over the harness when diving wet to create something ditchable. When doing Fundamentals this past weekend and I was asked to put the weight belt on first (under) my harness while diving wet. I had only 6 lbs on my waist.

I brought up the things I had read and was plainly told that DIR is ever evolving and this instructor believed if you were diving wet and needed ditchable weight to get up the rig was NOT balanced at the start. Most everytone can swim up against 6 lbs so better to make sure it stays on me (under my harness) so I can hold any safety stops on the way up with 500-700 psi in the tank.

The hard weight/soft weight is a non-issue in my opinion. I had soft weights and received no comment.

Hope that helps...

I also find it difficult to put my weight belt on top of my BP/W. I use a neoprene WB with six pounds (soft); however, I did find that using a "traditional" WB with lead blocks is more streamlined and I can put the WB on top of my rig. I don't do this though because if I ever need to ditch I'd prefer to ditch weight by weight which while possible with lead weights would be a pain.

Jasonmh:
Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

I'm no authority on DIR, but I can tell you how to end up with your weight belt outside of your harness.

First but on your weight belt, just snug enough to keep it from falling off.

Put on your harness.

Reach back, around the side, not through the crotch, and grab your crotch strap. Pull it forward around one side or the other.

Stuff the end of the crotch strap down inside the weight belt, grab end below weight belt and pull it down and around to the back.

Reach through crotch and grab the crotch strap, pull it to the front, and up through the weight belt.

Feed crotch strap on to waist belt of harness, close buckle in the usual manner.

Now your weight belt is "last on, first off"

Sounds harder than it really is.

I used to do this, but now I use a XS Scuba pouch belt, under my harness. If I ever have to ditch (never have) I can just open a pouch and take out 2-3 lbs at a time. I like having the belt under the harness to prevent inadvertant loss of ballast..

Tobin

I'm not DIR but my DIR buddies tend to put the harness over the belt ie belt first harness second. Since I'm not DIR I hope the DIR guys can forgive this little story.

In January of this year I took my kit with me to Cancun and I put my belt over the harness why?(to make it easier for the boat handlers). On one dive I hadn't tightened the belt tightly enough and it slipped off - luckily I managed to catch it and put it back on but after that I decided it should stay under the harness. In a drysuit I always have it underneath. My understanding was that from a DIR perspective belt under/over doesn't matter but what does matter is that you should always be able to swim up with your rig if need be and this requires proper weighting.

If my understanding is wrong here hopefully the DIR guys will be able to correct me.

i've had my weightbelt buckle come off and had the weightbelt get caught by the harness multiple times now. usually its been at the surface, climbing into boats and stuff like that, where the buckle has gotten snagged and opened. i've never needed to ditch weight. I've also never needed to ditch weight *FAST* where having the harness over the belt would have been unacceptable. the only situation i can think of where you'd need to do this is if you simply fubar'd your gas plan at depth and ran out without a buddy around to OOA (or your OOA got CF'd in some fashion).

i've been wondering about the "over for wet, under for dry" rule as well, and don't see how the exposure protection changes the logic...

lamont:
i've been wondering about the "over for wet, under for dry" rule as well, and don't see how the exposure protection changes the logic...
Just a guess, but with a drysuit you have redundant buoyancy, making the need to ditch a weight belt a very remote possibility (of course, with a single tank the wing and drysuit share the same air source.)

lamont:

I've been wondering about it too. If you have it under for the dry suit, my guess is that it's because the suit provides redundant buyoancy and the belt doesn't need to come off as quickly. <shrug>

Charlie99:
Just a guess, but with a drysuit you have redundant buoyancy, making the need to ditch a weight belt a very remote possibility (of course, with a single tank the wing and drysuit share the same air source.)

yeah, but even with a wetsuit, why do you need to ditch weight in such a hurry?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom