http://www.diveheart.org/

Hep save our Ocean's from overfishing. Donate 1 minute of your time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justin-branam

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
**Mods: i feel this thread would get the most attention in this forum. Please make this a Sticky for 60 days so everyone can help out. Thank You.**

*Please circulate among friends and colleagues, divers and non-divers alike*

I feel that all of you should also be as concerned with this as I am. This is not only for scuba divers who want to be able to dive and see some of these creatures, but this can affect the whole eco-sytem so pass it on to your friends. I will put it upon you to help out our ocean's. That is what these forums are all about. It only takes less than 1 minute to fill out a small form (name, address, e-mail) to sign a petition againt these new proposed laws. The bigger voice we have the better. Thank you.

Justin Branam

The full article can be read HERE

In a proposed rule issued today, NOAA announced its plans to open the nation’s oceans to overfishing with impunity. If this rule becomes law, the overfishing standard, a fundamental conservation measure, will be stripped of its ability to protect the nation’s fish populations and the ocean ecosystems of which they are a part. A 60-day public comment period begins today. During this time, ocean enthusiasts and interested stakeholders are encouraged to go to http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/overfishing

where they can easily submit comments and express their concerns regarding the proposed changes.

Please take a few minutes to submit your comment. It could help protect our ocean fish.

Please help us get the word out over the next two months and to generate as many public comments against the proposed rule as possible. Thanks for your support.

I saw the folowing reference but no link to the actual legislation

"Yet, you are proposing to weaken and undercut ocean protections, specifically revisions to National Standard 1"

Could you provide a link to National standard 1

Thanks

Maybe I'm dense, but what does NOAA have to do with commercial fisheries?

Also, as far as I've noticed, the trend is the exact OPPOSITE of what this petition is about. For instance, there's a proposed closed season on grouper this year.

Maybe Wayward Son will have some input on this.

NMFS (Nat'l Marine Fisheries Service) is a branch of NOAA, just like NWS (Nat'l Weather Service)

The only thing I know about this specifically is that a friend of mine posted on another board. He said that he had read the proposed regulation and it did not seem to do anything like what this article claimed.

I have not read the proposal, so I can't say. I'd suggest contacting the FRA & see what Denny can come up with. See the link in my signature.

Thanks. I've been needing to join the FRA. They do a lot of good work, I've been following it on spearboard.

DennisS:
I saw the folowing reference but no link to the actual legislation

"Yet, you are proposing to weaken and undercut ocean protections, specifically revisions to National Standard 1"

Could you provide a link to National standard 1

Thanks
Here's a link to NOAA info on proposed rule making.

It starts with a section about the public comment on the Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on this subject: "NMFS received extensive public
comments on the ANPR. NMFS received 46 letters that had unique content. Also, NMFS received more than 6,900 similar letters, in several different formats. The 6,900 similar letters contained one or more of following
recommendations: ................"

It looks like NMFS can tell the difference between true, unique comments and someone who is sending in a pre-prepared "comment".

Here's a link to the search page on the NMFS site if you want to find out more about Magnuson-Stevens and the Sustainable Fisheries Act.

The local commercial guys are upset about the overall method of controlling input resources by limiting days at sea and crew size, rather than controlling output or harvest size via quotas. They claim the days-at-sea and crew size limits are hurting safety by forcing them into a "fishing derby" mentality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom