helium/ balloon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe R.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Anyone out there leasing helium tanks 'for the kiddies' and p/p filling for deep dives? (Thrilled with all the info on 104's!) If you have a problem with anyone doing this I'm not interested in your opinion. I know the tables, I know those most concerned about 'regulations' are also making $$$ at doing fills. Great site!=-) :whack:

Since I just completed my AdvEAN class and Tri-mix diving was mentioned a few times, I asked my instructor about using "balloon grade" helium.

He said that it was not advisable and that "medical grade" helium is preferred. He offered some other details as to not using balloon grade but I've forgottn them....sorry.

is "frowned upon" because it likely contains O2 in order to
prevent asphyxiating some maroon that breathes it. With
the O2 in the He you will need to KNOW EXACTLY how much
and factor it into your calculations. Easier to simply use
un-adulterated He.

There is about two pages on where and how to buy Helium including Balloon grade, in .

Vance Harlow's Oxygen Hacker's Companion

Definately worth a read.

The book is available from AIRSPEED PRESS
(hmmm......strange name , I thought. I got my copy in two days!!)

Originally posted by Tavi
The book is available from AIRSPEED PRESS
(hmmm......strange name , I thought. I got my copy in two days!!)
Harlow's first book was "How to build an aircraft engine pre-heater"

Looks like you can't get this book anymore, but the name he came up for the company based on that book lives on. :)

Roak

I would be concerned about purity of the helium-contamination of the gas with oil and other lubricants.

Balloon grade He (depending on the supplier) can contain a good percentage of AIR.

From a balloon site...

Don't forget that when you are comparing helium prices, purity matters. The
purer the helium, the longer the float time. Some helium distributors are
selling "balloon grade helium" -- helium mixed with air. Unless you like
using lots of "Hi-Float," stick with the good stuff.

Do not use for diving... at least get the "industrial grade" He!

DSAO!!

Using industrial/welding grade, most of my mixing is continuous blending in an oil lubricated compressor and run through a hyperpure filter tower at the end. So it would not matter if I was using zero grade (for gas chromatagraphs and purer than medical) or ballon grade it would end up the same in the end. I do use it for PP filling on occasion as well. No problems. Go to the gas supplier and ask to see their book on the gases available and the standards for each. It will list the type and amount (max) of impurities for each grade.

omar

Thanks for all the great tips. I think I was confusing industrial grade He with 'balloon'grade. I am positive though there is no known 'medical grade heliulm'. I will check out the purity though!

Well there is a U.S.P. grade of He but you don't want it... and if you shop around and contract a price you can do better than *balloon* grade... I pay less for High Purity than most folks pay for *balloon* grade and it isn't because I'm special... well maybe it is... but you can be special too... open an account, lease some Ts and buy your gas... I get ABO for $15.20 and He and Ar for $45...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom